{7} My New Mom Knows Some Stuff (Moana)

TW: mentions of Smelly Gabe

Still 2 years before the Lightning Thief

The months after I got to camp were... okay. That kid, uh... Luke, yeah, he went on a quest and came back with a cool scar, but he was pretty bummed out when he got back.

"He failed his quest," Ethan told me.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I-I just do, okay. Anyway-" Ethan looked over where Luke was- "he should just be glad he came black alive."

For sword fighting, Luke would always pare Ethan and me together. He always said it was because we got along so well, but I knew the real reason. It was so I could show how good I was at fighting. Ethan wasn't the best at defense, and I wasn't either, but when we were paired together, it was like I was the best against him.

After my first summer, I learned to fight with dual swords, a sword and shield, and just one sword. When the summer was about to end, Chiron told me something I wouldn't believe.

"Moana, there is a mortal that would like to take you in when the summer session ends."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Her name is Sally Jackson. If you want to go with her, tell me by the end of the summer."

I told this to Ethan, and he said, "Do you really have to go?"

"I'm not sure," I admitted.

"Please, Moana. Don't go," he said.

"I'll think about it."

"I've thought about it," I said to Chiron. "I want to live with Ms. Sally Jackson." Chiron smiled. "Then go run along and pack your bags. Argus is going to drive the other campers into the city in a few hours."

It didn't really take long, packing my stuff, that is, but telling Ethan, I would be leaving camp was a different story.

Ethan was in the arena, training with Luke. But when he saw me, Luke left Ethan and me alone. When Ethan saw me with my backpack, his smile faded.

"Y- you're really going," he said. "Yeah, yeah, I am, but don't worry, I'm coming back next summer, or even sooner if I don't like my mortal home."

We had one last 'goodbye' hug before I left, which was awkward since we were only twelve, and I was 4 ft 9 in, and Ethan was 5 ft 2 in.

"I need to tell you something," Ethan said. "Okay," I responded, pulling away from the hug.

"I-" Ethan was cut off by a camper grabbing my wrist, saying, "Moana, it's time to go."

"Iris-message me," I told Ethan as I was being dragged to the camp's van. He nodded and silently cursed.

I sat in the back of the van with the Hermes kids hoping no one would pay attention to me.

At the end of the summer, I got a clay bead and a leather string to tie around my neck. The bead had a yellow apple on it.

When I was drooped off, I met a woman named Sally Jackson.

"You must be Moana," she said. I nodded.

"Hi," I said.

Sally reminded me of my mother. She had the same kind eyes and bubbly personality.

Ms. Jackson showed me to her car, and a boy was sitting in the front seat.

"Moana," Sally said. "This is my son Percy."

"Hi," I said.

"Hey." Percy had messy black hair and green eyes, just like me. Weird.

Long story short, I didn't last one night. My new family was nice and all (except for Percy's stepdad, I hated him), but I just couldn't stay in the mortal world. As I was looking out the window in the car, I saw monsters around every corner just waiting to get a nice demi-snack like me.

That night as everyone slept, I Iris-messaged Chiron. I told him that I couldn't stay and that I was coming back to camp.

Percy woke up in the middle of our conversation. His eyes glazed over, and he went back to sleep.

"That was close," Chiron said. "Anyway, are you sure you want to come back to camp?"

"Yes," I said. "I can't survive here. The monsters want to kill me."

"Okay, I'll send Kylie to get you. All you have to do is meet her in Central Park."

"Okay, Chiron, thank you for letting me come back to camp."

"Any time."

I waved my hand over the mist, and the message dissolved. I packed my backpack, I crept over to the door, but I took some food before leaving. Ms. Jackson was waiting for me.

"I'll miss you," she said, hugging me close. I felt tears splashing my head like raindrops. When we were done hugging, Sally took my hands.

"Moana," she said. "Where are your swords?"

"Um, in my backpack. Why?"

I took my swords out and handed them to her. Sally taped the gems, and they both turned into matching bracelets.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

Sally slipped the bracelets on both my wrists. "Chiron told me when I agreed to take care of you. He wanted you to find out on your own, but I just couldn't let a young demigoddess go around with two weapons in your backpack."

"Wait," I said. "How do you know Chiron and that I was a demigod?" She smiled.

"I may be a mortal, but I can see through the Mist, and Percy's a demigod too. And, Moana." "Yes?"

"You can come back any time, just Iris-Message first."

"Thank you," I said before I left.

In Central Park, I meet up with Kylie. Kylie's a daughter of Hecate, the goddess of magic. She was a few years older than me, and I knew her because she was in the Hermes cabin with me.

"You ready?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I am."

Kylie smiled, "Finally, I get to use my powers." She lifted her hand, and a portal to camp appeared. The portal was big enough to fit both of us.

I walked through, and I was back in the Hermes cabin. I set my sleeping bag next to Ethan's, who was asleep facing where I usually slept. I lay on my sleeping bag and carefully shook Ethan awake.

"Hmm," he grumbled. When he fully focused on me, Ethan's eye's lit up. "Y-you're back?"

"Yeah," I said. "I didn't want to bring monsters to that family. Also, I know you're lonely without me."

"Not that lonely."

"Oh, so you're fine if I leave next year?"

"No!"

"I'm just kidding," I said, giving Ethan a friendly punch. "I would never leave you, man. You're my best friend."

"Hey, some of us are trying to sleep!" I heard Luke yell from his bunk.

Ethan and I laughed softly to ourselves. I was glad he was my best friend.