XVI

Pyrrha and (Y/N) entered the ballroom. Yang waved at them.

"You guys made it!" Yang raised a brow. "I see you two are rocking that red, eh?" She was looking at (Y/N)'s red dress shirt underneath his coat and Pyrrha's red dress.

"Oh, she was the one who picked," (Y/N) said.

"Oh, I see. Well, enjoy the party, you two."

The two nodded.

"Hey, Pyrrha. I'm gonna go and get a drink." (Y/N) said.

"Sure, I'll... just go somewhere," Pyrrha replied with a hint of... sadness?

(Y/N) went towards the punch bowl. He grabbed a glass and poured some into it. He saw Ruby just standing idle next to him.

"Hey, Ruby. Hiding at the punch bowl?" (Y/N) asked.

"Second time someone has said that," Ruby said.

"Jaune was the first." (Y/N) took a sip.

"How did you know?" Ruby looked at him.

(Y/N) laughed. "I just know." "I forgot to say thanks to Pyrrha. Damn."

His expression turned serious, and he grabbed a separate glass of punch.

"I'm gonna go somewhere. See ya, Ruby." (Y/N) said to her.

"See ya. I'll just stay here," Ruby replied.

He went up to the balcony and stopped behind the wall, hearing Pyrrha's voice.

"—I guess you're the kind of guy I wish I came here with. Someone who just saw me for me," she said before walking away.

"Right, this part of that episode." (Y/N) thought.

When Pyrrha came in, she didn't see (Y/N) standing as she just continued walking. (Y/N) sighed and approached her.

"Hey, Pyrrha," (Y/N) called.

"Oh, (Y/N). What can I—"

(Y/N) interrupted her by holding out the second glass of punch he got. "Here."

Pyrrha took the glass carefully and drank it. "Well, thank you. I guess I kind of needed this."

"I forgot to say thanks as well for helping me out with the suit, and I guess the tie too."

The two went silent, not saying anything for a few moments until (Y/N) coughed.

"So, Jaune, huh?" (Y/N) said.

"What? Oh... yes. I do." Pyrrha looked down as they walked to the first floor.

"This might turn out weird, but might as well." (Y/N) thought.

"Hey." (Y/N) stopped as the two of them were walking down the stairs.

Pyrrha stopped as well and looked at him.

"If it makes you feel better, you... wanna dance?" he asked with a shrug.

"Well, I guess, why not," Pyrrha replied.

The two went down to the dance floor, putting away the glasses of punch they had and stopping in the middle of the other students dancing with their partners.

They held each other and started dancing slowly to the slow music that just started playing.

"Thank you, Mr. Jones! Those dancing lessons from P.E. are paying off." (Y/N) thought.

"Thank you, (Y/N). You're a good friend." Pyrrha said with a smile as they danced.

"Well, I don't really like seeing friends down in the dumps. I probably don't really show it, but you, Jaune, Nora, and Ren are the closest friends I've made in my entire life." (Y/N) replied.

"You make it sound like you don't have any friends."

"Well, before I came here, yeah, I didn't. I was that one weird kid in school who didn't talk much and was alone all the time." (Y/N) said with a small feeling of sadness, remembering everything before he came to Remnant.

Before he died and reincarnated.

"That's... kind of sad. I'm sorry." Pyrrha said.

"Don't be." (Y/N) looked around when he heard laughter.

He saw Jaune, wearing a dress, was walking towards them.

"Hey, Pyrrha. Look." (Y/N) pointed as he chuckled.

(Y/N) let her go, and Pyrrha saw Jaune before she laughed.

"A promise is a promise."

"Jaune, you didn't have to!" Pyrrha said as she kept laughing.

"Hey, an Arc never goes back on his word." Jaune held out his hand towards her. "Now, do you wanna stand there and laugh at me, or do you wanna dance?

"I would love to!" Pyrrha held her hand out.

Jaune then pulled her in and swept her away. Pyrrha looked at (Y/N), who just gave a thumbs up.

"This... is... happening!" Nora shouted.

"Wait, what is happening?" Ren asked.

Nora grabbed Ren and went to the dance floor to dance with Jaune and Pyrrha. (Y/N) looked around and saw Penny moving her feet to the beat. He smoothly slid next to her.

"Hey, Penny!" he said.

"(Y/N)!"

"Wanna dance?" (Y/N) held his hand out.

"I would love to!" Penny held his hand.

(Y/N) saw the two Atlas soldiers watching over her. They nodded and gave him the thumbs up. The two excitedly went to the dancefloor and started dancing.

As the two were dancing, Ozpin suddenly appeared right next to (Y/N).

"(Y/N) (L/N)."

(Y/N) stopped dancing as he saw Ozpin. "Professor Ozpin!"

Ozpin leaned close to his ear. "I'm just giving you a heads up. I'll be calling you to meet me in my office soon. It's important."

(Y/N) looked as the headmaster starts walking away.

"For now, enjoy the party," Ozpin said.

(Y/N) looked confused until Penny pulled his sleeve. "What was that?" Penny asked.

"It's nothing. Let's keep going!" (Y/N) said.

The two continued their dance as Ozpin watched, taking a sip of the hot cocoa in his mug.

———————

Happy New Year, y'all