32: Ennik

RUSSIA
7:00 AM

“You should take your braces off. It doesn’t look good on you,” Dimitri said.

I put my fork down, giving him a look of disapproval. “The dentist attached this a year ago. My teeth won’t align until 3 years,” I protested.

“Nah. You’re delusional. Take it off or you’ll look ugly for the festival tomorrow.”

I lost my appetite. I had an internal battle of whether to continue eating or leave the table. I wept in silence. How insensitive could this man be, reprimanding me early in the morning.

Oh, Bozhe.

Vale doesn’t tell me what to do and what not to. He said I looked good in green braces for it complement my eyes. Dimitri was the first to make fun of me with these metallic bands. He’s being an irrational critic and I’m beginning to regret marrying him.

There was a knock on the door. The maid opened it. A man with long hair and dark skin entered. “Señor Dimitri, your mom asked you and your wife to come to the mansion. It’s urgent," he said.

“Okay. We’ll get there in a minute.”

“Noted señor.”

When the messenger left, Dimitri turned to me. “Mama doesn’t like waiting. Can we finish this for later?”

That was another shock for me. But I hide my distaste and followed him outside.

xx

“Wait, Patricio was murdered?” was Dimitri’s reaction the moment we heard the news.

“My poor Patricio, who could have done this to him?” her mom was sobbing uncontrollably on the sofa, while her husband consoled her. “Oh, my dear son.”

“He was stabbed,” I said, unknowingly, making them turn to my direction. “In the navy?”

Dimitri clenched his jaw. He looked on his foot, then to the window. The moment his gaze shifted on me, I could sense the pain and anger he’s been hiding. “Could it be that some sailors conspired to kill him?”

“Maybe. It sounds like an inside job. If the murderer is an outsider, how come veteran sailors didn’t caught the killer?”

“I beg to disagree,” his mom interjected. “My youngest son wasn’t a problem child. He never had enemies to begin with.”

I looked at Dimitri again, this time, his expression has changed. He looked like he’s offended? Or jealous.

“You didn’t know him mom. He never shared his problems to anyone. This household trained us to be like that.” His words was so firm and strong.

Dimitri’s dad finally broke his silence. “Now we lost the only soldier we had in this family.”

I could feel the tension inside the room. All of them were speaking in a language I couldn’t understand. I looked at Dimitri again. He was busy with his phone, typing something.

The weird thing is he was smiling.

**