8: Ennik

RUSSIA
5:45 PM

“Here’s your change young miss,” the cab driver said as soon as I asked him to stop over.

“No, keep it,” I refused. I hurriedly hopped off the cab and rushed home. My heart raced with my footsteps.

YOU CAN’T SEE ARMOR, BUT IT CAN SEE YOU.

The letter I got from a mysterious man sent chills down my spine. I felt safe no more. It seemed like someone was always keeping an eye on my every move and I’m really scared.

What did I got myself into?

I entered the door and saw mamushka in the living room, knitting a winter scarf as she watched TV.

I was so agitated I could hardly speak so I didn’t kiss mamushka in the cheek like I usually do, passing by her instead.

“Ennik!” Mamushka called out. “Won’t you even kiss your mamushka?"

I acted as if I haven’t heard her. I strolled to my room upstairs and turned the lights on. Oh, Bozhe. I looked at my face in the mirror and saw a worried girl staring back at me. Fresh wave of tears rolled down my cheek and my green eyes looked submerged.

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS LETTER, DON’T TELL ANYONE.

“Oh, Bozhe. How can I get myself out of this?” I asked myself in between sighs, running my fingers through my hair and occasionally biting my lips. I walked over to the bed, lied down and covered myself in blanket.

YOU’RE IN DANGER RIGHT NOW.

There was a knock on the door all of a sudden. “Ennik, Vale is here! He’s waiting for you downstairs!”

Oh, Bozhe. Vale followed me here. No.

“Tell him to just go home mamushka! I’m not in the mood to talk!”

Mamushka continued to bang the door. “Sugar? What’s wrong? Vale told me you ran away from him?”

Not knowing what to do, I buried my face in the pillow. I can’t tell them I received a threat from a stranger. Doing so might put them into a bad situation.

“Sugar? Why don’t you open the door and talk this out with mamushka? I’m getting worried.”

Feeling sorry for my mamushka, I got no choice but to relent. My hands shivered as I peeked at the ebony door. “Okay. I’ll come down in a minute.” I gasped.

WE ARE ARMOR, THE PROTECTOR OF MEN.

I went down the living room and met Vale’s concerned face. “Ennik.” He stood up to reach me but before he could, he froze on his tracks as soon as WTR News aired.

BREAKING NEWS:

“Moscow State High School’s librarian, Yada Polva was found dead in the library. Traces of red fluid were seen on the floor where her body was found. The police are currently - - - “

My jaw dropped. I remember seeing Ms. Yada on her desk as she held her phone with her thumb on the screen.

Then it sinked in.

The librarian was about to take a call, trying to ask for help but I was oblivious to the crime at hand that I ignored her.

Did the black guy do it? Why?

Even more confused, ARMOR’s 5th creed slipped my mind.

WE, ARMOR WILL CREATE A BETTER WORLD. ANYONE WHO STANDS IN OUR WAY WILL LOSE THEIR HEAD.

I bit my lip. Oh, Bozhe.

**