15: Ennik

RUSSIA
3:00 PM

“Mamushka? Why didn’t you tell me?”

The question made mamushka raise an eyebrow. “Tell you about what, sugar?”

“All this time, you knew that papa worked for a terrorist group in USA,” I said, raising my conviction. “Right, mamushka?”

From the things I learned about the incident as a kid until the pieces of information I got now, I bet mamushka had some confession to make.

“What are you trying to say, Ennik? Your papa died long time ago! We have to move on!”

I let out a frustrated groan. “Why would you deny, mamushka? Why are you so afraid of telling the police the truth so papa will be given justice?”

Mamushka lowered her head. She looked at a blank space, taking a deep breath.

“How did you find out?” She asked.

“So it was true,” I said. “Some people were actually studying the case. And they happened to have a background check of papa. I remember you were crying the night I came back to Klin. And you didn’t say a word when papa died. So you knew.”

Mamushka bit her lip. Her legs felt limp so she slumped on the couch.

“Mamushka? Why did you kept it a secret for years?!” I yelled to her for the first time and the tears I had been trying to suppress began to fall.

“Because,” Mamushka sniffed. “Your papa asked me to never tell anyone. Including you.”

My eyes widen in shock.

“And I want you to live a life away from danger, Ennik. I want you to grow without having to feel a constant threat in your environment,” she added. Mamushka began to tell me what happened the night I caught her crying in the living room.

She received a call from papa as soon as I returned to Klin.

RIGO: “Don’t tell anyone about what I’m going to confess…”

ANASTASIA: “Okay, darling.”

RIGO: “Promise me.”

ANASTASIA: “Promise.”

R: “Okay. Here it goes… ARMOR – a terrorist group in USA happened to see my profile and finds me a great deal. They get my contact information, called me up and asked me to work with them.”

A: “What kind of work?”

R: “They want me to help in the production of vaccines that would give superhuman strength once injected.”

A: “What? Oh my God, Rigo!”

R: “I know, it’s illegal and too dangerous. I don’t like it as much as you do so I refused to take the offer… but they blackmailed me, saying they’ll kill you and Ennik if I didn’t work for them.”

A: “Oh my darling, what are we gonna do?”

R: “Please take care of our only daughter. I love both of you until death. Goodbye.”

A: “No! Rigo! Please hang on! Let’s get help from the police!”

The call ended there. Papa hung up.

“I knew I’ve been a fool for years – for not seeking help from the police. But taking you to the edge of the cliff scares me the most so I kept quiet and heed your papa’s words,” mamushka said inbetween sobs.

I gave her a tight hug. “You’re never wrong, mamushka. You only did what’s best for us… for me… thank you.”

She sniffed twice. “Your papa truly loved you.”

Yes. Papa sacrificed himself for us. Never did he had a clue that the people he worked for, the same people who needed his help would be the ones to kill him.

ARMOR. I finally knew the truth. Remember I won’t sleep on you. I’ll hunt you down.

**