Chapter 3

Mike watched the TV as quietly as possible, his friend snoring in his arms. Every now and again he'd whimper in his sleep and Mike had learned to settle him down by rubbing his stomach.

The singer was obviously in pain, as much as he hated to admit it. Was it food poisoning? Does diarrhoea and sickness along with a stomach pain just sound like food poisoning? Plus he was burning up, Mike could feel the heat just from holding him. Something wasn't right and Mike's own stomach was twisting at the thought of letting him play tonight. What if he got worse? What if he collapsed?

A small whimper came from Billie and Mike rubbed his stomach until he quietened again. Maybe he could call Adie? She was a woman after all, they're always right. The problem with this though is that Mike knew exactly what she'd say; 'Get him to rest and drink lots of fluids. No show.' And Mike knew Billie would refuse.

He didn't understand that the fans would understand, that they loved him. Sure, there was always a few people whining but you would be too if you paid to see your favourite band and they couldn't do it, but they would understand. It's not like he's only got a cold.

Another, louder whimper came from Billie and Mike repeated the process, looking at the clock. Show in an hour.

The bassists mind was spinning. If they left now, they'd have enough time for a sound check. But if Mike cancelled it and let Billie sleep, Billie would... Well, probably cut his balls off and suture them to his eyes.

Mike sighed and gently tapped Billie on the shoulder until he woke. "We gotta go man."

Billie let out a grunt and stretched, sitting up slowly. His head was banging, his eyes were heavy and he just wanted to curl up in Mike's arms. But he had to go.

He stood up and rummaged until he found his pants, changing quickly before waiting for Mike and then following him out the door. They waited until Tré was ready then got the elevator down to the lobby, climbing into the waiting car.

Mike and Tré chatted easily as Billie watched. He longed to be in Mike's arms again, he was tired and he wanted to be held. He gently rested his head against Mike's arm and Mike pulled him to his chest obediently so Billie was able to sleep for the drive there.