Chapter 2: Nefertiti

At thirteen, Nefertiti was two years Amenhotep's junior, but she was more mature socially. Her great beauty and her closeness to the royal family, with her Aunt Tiye being the pharaoh's Great Wife, ensured her the position of Great Wife of crown prince Si-Atum. But for some reason, Tiye chose her to be the future wife of Amenhotep. Perhaps it was because she saw how much they loved each other from the moment they first met as children. That love grew and matured from friendship to puppy love to passionate devotion. Nefertiti didn't mind not becoming Si-Atum's Great Wife. She loved Amenhotep too much, and, like him, did not care about the affairs of state. As with Amenhotep, her heart burned with the same passion for beauty, truth, and the mysteries, for she was Amenhotep's twin flame. 

After the feast, Nefertiti rode with her sister Mutbenret in the litter to their villa in Thebes. 

"Nebetah told me that Amenhotep had a private talk with you in the garden," said Mutbenret. "Are you two planning anything I should know about?" 

"You mean like an early wedding?" teased Nefertiti. 

"Really!?" exclaimed Mutbenret excitedly. 

"No." said Nefertiti, shaking her head. "In fact, it will not be for at least another two years, for Amenhotep will soon be going to On to become a priest of Ra-Horakhti." 

"A priest of Ra-Horakhti? But why can't he study in the temple of Ipetsut or Luxor" 

"He hates the priests of those temples," said Nefertiti. "They are nothing but career priests who take advantage of superstitious people." 

"That kind of talk can get you in a lot of trouble," warned Mutbenret. "So, are you feeling sad that Amenhotep will be leaving you for two years?" 

"Not at all," replied Nefertiti. "It will be good for him. Not just the education, but being away from me. He's been too attached and needy of me lately. Being away will teach him to be more self-reliant." 

"Come now," insisted Mutbenret, "won't you miss his kisses and caresses?" 

"Well, perhaps a little," admitted Nefertiti. Then she giggled, which made her sister giggle as well. 

When they arrived at their villa, laughing hysterically, Nefertiti's stepmother Tey was still up, playing the harp in their great hall. 

"Shush!" she warned. "You'll wake your father. So how was the rest of the feast?" 

"Fantastic!" said Mutbenret. "They had a juggler who juggled flaming torches and acrobats who formed a human pyramid." 

"Good!" said Tey, sighing. "Then I didn't miss much. Your father and I are getting too old for late-night feasting. The wine and entertainment put us to sleep." 

"Then why aren't you asleep?" asked Nefertiti as she hung her shawl on the hall rack.  

"Well, I knew you two would be staying late and I wanted to stay up till you arrived safely, so I purposely didn't drink much wine. Now that you're home, I can retire." 

"Thank you, Mother," said Nefertiti, hugging and kissing Tey. 

"Sorry to keep you up," said Mutbenret, as she kissed Tey goodnight. 

Oh, by the way," said Tey, as she walked to her room. "Your father would like to speak with you first thing in the morning." 

"About what?" asked Nefertiti. 

"He didn't say." 

*** 

The following morning, after breaking her fast, Nefertiti looked for her father, Ay. She found him in his study going over some scrolls.  

"Good morning, Father!" she greeted. "Mother said you wanted to speak to me." 

"Yes, Nefertiti, have a seat," said Ay pointing to a chair across from him. "I know how much you love Amenhotep. So it grieves me to tell you that he will be going away for a while." 

"I know," said Nefertiti. "He told me last night." 

"But how? The pharaoh has not told him yet." 

"He said he overheard it." 

"And you are not upset?" asked Ay. 

"No, I think it will be for the best; he can learn much at the Temple of On. Only, I wish I could go and learn as well." 

"Ha!" laughed Ay. "That is out of the question. However, you do have an opportunity almost as good." 

"What do you mean?" asked Nefertiti, sitting up straight. 

"I spoke with Tiye last night," said Ay. "She told me that she will soon hold classes in art, music, history, religion, and etiquette for your cousins and some of the other young ladies of the court. She would like you and Mutbenret to participate. She said that it was only fitting that you should get an education while Amenhotep gets his." 

"Oh, Father, that's wonderful! Aunt Tiye is the wisest woman in the land. I'm sure I can learn much from her." 

"She's also the most powerful woman. So, get in her good graces, and you will go far."  

"Having a father who is her younger brother will help," said Nefertiti, getting up and hugging Ay. 

"That will not help you if you don't apply yourself to your lessons," warned Ay. "Now go enjoy your last day of freedom. Tomorrow you begin your studies." 

Nefertiti returned to her room and lay on her bed thinking. She had mixed feelings about her opportunity to learn from Tiye just as she had mixed feelings about Amenhotep going to On. She felt that she was on a threshold, leaving the world of childhood, and entering the world of adulthood. She looked at her dolls wistfully and decided to play with them one last time.  

*** 

The following morning, Nefertiti and Mutbenret rode with their father in his chariot to the palace.  

"Remember," said Ay, "Your aunt is a disciplinarian. She will not tolerate disobedience, inattention, or tardiness. You're getting there early, so you need not worry about being late." 

"Oh, good!" said Nefertiti. "Then I can talk to Amenhotep." 

"Ah, ah! Only for a little while. Don't be late."  

When they arrived at the palace, Nefertiti jumped out of the chariot and ran to a shaded spot along the Nile where Amenhotep loved to sit and think. As she suspected, he was there. 

She sat down beside him and hugged and kissed him. "Have you heard the good news? Your mother will be giving Mutbenret and me lessons along with your sisters and other young ladies of the court. Now I will get to see you every day before you leave." 

"That is good news," said Amenhotep, brightening slightly. "Only I wish I could slow down the time before I leave and speed up the time when I will be at On." 

"Are you still sad that you will be leaving?"  

"Yes, sad and a little fearful," replied Amenhotep. "I will not only be leaving you, but my other friends and the comforts of my home and familiar surroundings as well. I won't know anyone there, and I doubt if I'll make any friends, being a son of the pharaoh." 

Nefertiti embraced him. "I will pray to the Aten that you find a good friend you can confide in." 

"Thank you!" said Amenhotep. "When does your first class start?" 

"Uh, oh!" exclaimed Nefertiti. "I'd better go. My father warned me about being late." 

Giving him one last hug and kiss, Nefertiti ran toward the palace.