Chapter 4: The Sed Festival

Sed festivals were jubilees celebrated after a pharaoh had held the throne for thirty years and then every three years after that. They primarily were held to rejuvenate the pharaoh's strength and stamina while still sitting on the throne, celebrating his continued success. In 1354 B.C., the 36th year of his reign, Amenhotep III celebrated his third Sed festival. He was in ill health and it was hoped that this festival would rejuvenate him and give him many more years of rule. 

The festival began with the offertory ritual to Aten in the open-air temple behind the palace with altars piled high with fruits, vegetable, and flowers. The priest Panehesy burned incense in a golden censure as everyone waited in silence for the sunrise. The pharaoh, seated on his portable throne, was the first to see the rising sun. He recited the standard prayer, "Hail Aten! Grant me health and long life and supernatural powers that I may rule three more years." Panehesy, standing on the high altar, was the next to see the sunrise, and offering fruit and flowers, recited a similar prayer on behalf of the pharaoh. Then the pharaoh's family gazed upon the rising sun and prayed, and finally, the guests prayed. 

After this ritual, while people ate breakfast and priests prepared for other activities, Amenhotep III inspected the House of Rejoicing, which he had not seen since Si-Atum took over the completion of it. 

"Very good, you had Auta paint scenes from my life," said Amenhotep III, admiring the huge murals. 

"The white stucco walls were too plain," explained Si-Atum. "We have murals in the palace; why not here?" 

"I like the detail in the statues too. You did a good job, Si-Atum." 

"Thank you, I wanted this Sed to be a powerful uplifting experience for you, Father, so that you will get better and rule for many more years on your own, unless, of course, you want me to corule with you." 

Amenhotep III put his arm around his son's shoulders and sighed. "To be honest with you, son, I don't have much hope. I don't think I have much time left. I want you to corule with me now so that you know everything and can take over if I die." 

"But Mother might object." 

"I don't care; I'm tired. I need you to take over some of my duties now. I know your mother does most of the work already, but the duties I have, such as overseeing the cattle, inspecting the construction projects, inspecting the army, and so on, are becoming too burdensome." 

"If I were to become a coruler, then I suppose I would need a Great Wife. Correct?" 

"Of course," said Amenhotep III. 

"Then I will do it for the love of you and for the love of Tadukhepa. 

"Thank you, my son. Now, let's get on with the census of the cattle. After that, you can help me with the raising of the djed pillar. I'm not looking forward to the race. I wish you could run it for me." 

"You'll do fine," said Si-Atum cheerfully. 

After the raising of the djed pillar, the pharaoh led the procession of his children and others of the court to the House of Rejoicing where servants carried him on a lion throne in front of the murals celebrating the exploits of his youth and finally to the altar of Amen-Ra to receive blessings of rebirth and regeneration. Then the servants took him outside where thousands of people from Thebes, Memphis, and On gathered to wish him well and applaud him. Then another procession went to the small chapel of the god Sed, where Amenhotep took the standard and ran around the field eight times to show that he was still fit to be pharaoh. Finally, servants carried the exhausted pharaoh in the lion chair to the palace to prepare for a night of feasting. Si-Atum raced on ahead in his chariot.