|Twentyseven|

Caleb's POV

"I made sure the bomb was planted!"

"But did you see him inside the car? Did you watch the car go up ablaze, Caleb?" Kelly asks me. I can't respond, as the answer is obvious. My one mistake had made my entire plan come crumbling down on me.

"What if he really isn't Lucas? Just a look alike—doppelgänger." I suggest. She nods at me, holding her stomach. The baby would be coming anytime soon.

"It's insane. How does his doppelgänger end up here, again, in London, in our circle? Don't you think that's suspicious? I can bet on it, that damned man is Carrington."

"Then I'll kill him again. This time, for sure."

"No, Caleb. He won't die that easily. Besides, the plan was never for you to kill him!" She whispers. She continues, "You already made the same mistake once, and we lost all his money to the government. That's billions of euros and assets, locked up because they all think he's dead. This time, we take control of not just the company but his assets before anything happens to him."

I wanted Lucas dead. I had worked for him for years, and I wanted all he had. There were no grudges, except the fact that I couldn't let him succeed any further. I wanted what he had, all he owned, and if I couldn't get them, none of us would keep them.

*******

Entering my closet, I take out my Kelly bag and bring out I and Luke's wedding documents. The very thing that binded us together in the first place.

I open up the documents and read through, forcing the tears in the corner of my eyes to not come out. I take the wedding and DNA documents and head for Luke's room. I enter, and I shut the door as I always do. I didn't want anyone inside, except myself and probably Louis.

I reach for a box, where all C.I related files and documents had been kept after moving out of the manor. I have a hard time finding documents that contained his writing, but eventually, I do. With shaky hands, and already knowing the outcome but still doubting, I compare the three documents. The handwritings are identical. They are the same. I sit down on the ground, on the verge of breaking down as I stare at all three documents. It really was him. That man pretending to be Richard, was none other than my Lucas. My Luke. It was him. I clutch my chest, my heart aching.  "It's you." I whisper, a million thoughts going through my mind. My mind flashes back to the night I witnessed him with Rose. I can't seem to get it off my mind. I had come to the conclusion that Lucas was definitely hiding his identity for a reason, but if he was, why would he go that far with Rose? Why would he do that with her if it was all just one big lie? Or did he really have feelings for her? Was history repeating itself again, only that this time, Luke was the one to fall in love with another? Was he really out of love with me and in love with Rose?

********

Diane's right on time as I reach the office. "Did you get my text?"

"Yes, ma'am. I did. Here are the files." She says, handing over Louis files to me. "Keep them. Have my chauffeur drop it off at the new school." She nods and turns to leave. "Wait!" I call.

"Yes, ma'am?"

I move closer to her and whisper, "Anything new on Caleb?"

"Nothing, ma'am. He's been off the grid lately, he and Kelly haven't been in the office for a few days. Seems odd. Caleb never misses a day."

"I can understand Kelly not coming to work because she no longer works here, but why Caleb? Do you know if Kelly's given birth?" I ask her, wanting to know why Caleb had been absent. "Go." I say to Diane. I think back to the last time I'd seen them both, and I pause as I remember the altercation we'd had. "Oh, no." I gasp, as I realize that I might have provoked Caleb against Lucas, who everyone believes to be Richard. I had told Caleb that Richard was indeed, Lucas and if my suspicions were correct about the reason behind Luke's pretense and the tragedy that occurred four years ago, then I'd just added more fire, to an already wild one.

**
Sitting on my office couch, I'm confused on what to do. There was no one I could share my problems and absolutely no one to confide in. I couldn't speak to Rocket because he was a possible suspect, and I couldn't speak to Alex either because he might not be as truthful as he appears to be. I couldn't run to Luke to tell him everything I'd discovered because he'd probably deny knowing whatever I was talking about. Lydia. My good friend, Lydia. I missed her, and in a situation like this, she would be the only one who would understand and be ready to help. I hated the fact that we had to communicate through letters. I wondered why she would cut off all digital communication with me, and everyone else she knew and loved. I take out my phone. I dial her number, and surprisingly, it rings. I gasp, surprised that her number actually rang. There's no response, however, so I try again but this time, it's turned off.

"I need you, Lydia."

******

As I go through the company's progress and financial reports, my door swings open. I look up.

"It's you." I state, standing up, somewhat uncomfortable.

"Natty. May I come in?" Rocket asks. I can see he's holding a bouquet of dahlias and roses. I nod, wondering why he'd come here. I look at the clock right beside the door. It's almost lunchtime.

"I got this for you. . .I hope you like them." He says, handing the bouquet over to me. I smile as I take a whiff of the flowers.

"Of course, Rocket. I do. Thank you." I respond, still feeling a tad bit awkward. I smile at him.

"You must be wondering why I'm here, right?"

I nod. "Hm. Why are you here?" I ask him. He brings out a small paper bag from inside his jacket. I raise my eyebrow in confusion.

"Are you sick?" I ask, as I see that it's a branded pharmacy bag. He nods a no.

"I was on my way to the hotel when I saw a delivery man outside the house—your house."

"And?" I ask, curious.

"I don't know, I was just curious. I told him you're my wife, and that you weren't around to collect the package—

"But I didn't order for anything, Rocket. I don't really shop online." I say, wondering what must've been in the bag. "Can I see it?" I ask, stretching my hand out for the bag. He doesn't give it to me, however, he opens the bag. I look at the package. It's a pregnancy kit. I look at him and back at the package.

"What is this?" I ask, confused. What was he playing at?

"Natalie, are you pregnant?" He asks, looking at me straight in the eyes. I burst out laughing. I flip my hair as I chuckle uncontrollably.

"Come again?"

"Are you pregnant, Natty?" He asks, and I realize that he's very serious.

"Surely, you can't be serious. Of course not. I'm not pregnant." I state with all seriousness. Or was I? Bloody Hell. I had no clue. I couldn't be. I was certain.

"When last did you have your period then? Answer me, Natalie."

"Excuse me? That is none of your business. I agree, we've had unprotected consensual sex multiple times for the past month, however, I am not pregnant, Rocket, nor do I plan on getting pregnant."

"Forgive me. Forgive me, Natty." He says, getting up and approaching me. He holds my hands. He kisses them. "I'm sorry, I was carried away. Don't be upset."

"No, I'm not upset, Rocket. Though I should be. I mean, did you sleep with me all those times hoping to get me knocked up?" I ask.

"No, Natty, no. I would never. I'm sorry, I just got carried away because I saw you ordered for the test kit. I thought you got it because you suspected you were pregnant." He says.

"That's the problem, Rocket. I never ordered for it. I wonder why my name's on it."

"So, if you're not pregnant, then, who is?" Rocket asks.

"Someone in my house, I'm guessing."