3: how Erwin found Levi

{A/N: this is taking place while Levi is alone with the Titan}

Erwin rode forward with Hange and Miche by his side, barely able to see through the rain that was still lashing down upon them. He really didn't want to, but if this weather continued, Erwin would have to call off the mission and head back to Trost. He had no idea how many soldiers had died or got injured in these conditions, and that really pained him. The weight of responsibility on his shoulders for his comrades' deaths was getting heavier each time he left the comfort of the walls. It was beginning to crush him.

However, Erwin kept pushing forward for the sake of humanity, for the sake of his dream, and to avenge his fathers death. If that made him a bad person, so be it. If that made him a devil, so be it.

As the three continued to ride forward, the rain began to stop. Not completely, mind. It was still incredibly hard to see.
"Looks like it's clearing up a bit!" Hange exclaimed from Erwin's left. They adjusted their glasses and flashed Erwin a confident smile.

"Thank you for stating the obvious, Hange." Miche responded from Erwin's right. He rarely spoke these days; the only time he did was to make a sarcastic comment or to alert the people around him that titans were approaching. He usually worked with his nose.
"Hey! I'm only trying to fill the silence!" Hange argued back.
"Then don't."

"Stop bickering you two." Erwin commanded, glancing back at them. There was a muttered apology from Hange and a nod from Miche.
"I think it's about time to call off the mission and turn back." He decided out loud, much to his disappointment. The two others agreed, turned their steeds and went to alert nearby squads. Erwin fired off a blue signal, not the it would be of any use to anyone in this weather.

He turned and rode in silence with no one to keep him company. His eyes couldn't stay forward, his ears picked up every little sound and he felt this horrible feeling, as if something had happened.

Then, out of the blue, a jet black horse came racing in from Erwin's left, with a frightened looking recruit riding on its back. Erwin grunted and tugged harshly on the reins of his own horse, preventing what could have been a serious collision.

The recruit stopped and came over to the commander, the look of terror still plastered on his face.
"I'm so sorry Commander! I couldn't see..and I was in a rush to find you..." the recruit stuttered, panting.
"It's fine. What is it that you wanted to see me about?" Erwin asked patiently. He was fully aware that having a conversation in full blown Titan country in this weather was unwise, but he remembered how scared he was in his first expedition after seeing a Titan, and this made him feel sympathy for the young man in front of him.

"I think..captain Levi's in trouble, sir!" The recruit said loudly, shocking Erwin.
"Levi? Are you positive it's him?"
"I believe so sir! He's that way, in a clearing. I think he's fighting a Titan. I went to get help because I saw him struggling, and when I left I thought I heard him cry out in pain!" The cadet pointed in the direction he had come from. Erwin breathed out, calming himself.

"No need to worry, Cadet. Lead me towards this clearing and I will help the best I can." Erwin smiled softly at the cadet, who looked a little more than relieved. Just at that moment, Hange and Miche returned to his side.
"All troops have been notified about the command to return to Trost, sir." Hange reported, saluting Erwin.

"Thank you, Hange. Miche. Before we leave, however, this cadet seems to believe captain Levi is in trouble. We ride with him to find out if it is Levi or not, and help." Erwin told the two, who looked shocked but nodded nonetheless. The four of them rode as quick as they could towards the clearing, lead by the recruit and doubting that Levi was in any sort of trouble.

Boy were they wrong.

Word count- 713

Chapter 3 is done!

Hope you're enjoying so far!