Chapter 12

Strike moaned as he slowly began to wake. His vision started out blurry for a moment but cleared out so that he could see where he was. He rubbed his head as he sat up and looked around. To his surprise, he was locked up in a cage in the same dark space where Sonic was being held in before.

Strike then noticed that he was feeling something a little tight on his arm. He looked to discover that a dampener had been placed on his arm. Then he heard a familiar voice close by, "That's a dampener, a device capable of disabling a metahuman's powers."

Strike looked to the left to see Specter in another cage right next to him with a dampener on his arm as well. He sighed in frustration as he sat against the bars of his cage, "I'm guessing you don't know where we are?"

"How do you expect me to know, do I look like a GPS?" Specter asked, "Of course I don't know. We were both unconscious when they threw us in here, and it doesn't matter where we are. What matters is what we're going to do to get out of here."

Strike slowly turned his head to Specter with a stern look on his face, "'We?' Or just you?"

Specter looked over at Strike with a raised eyebrow, "Is there something you want to say to me?"

Strike just rolled his eyes as he looked away from Specter. Specter thought back for a second to the moment that happened between him and Shadow the other day and sighed as he spoke, "Look, Strike, I get it. You think I care only about myself, but there's a lot more going on than what you see."

Strike responded without looking back, "Whatever that is, do you seriously believe that's more important than anything that is in the moment? THIS very moment?"

"What I'm worried about is far more important than you think," Specter whispered/laughed to himself.

Strike grumbled, "Why don't you just give us a straight answer?"

"Which is?" Specter asked.

Strike turned to Specter sternly, "That you don't seem to care at all about others. That you only seem to care about yourself. I told them about your parents abandoning you after you were born and that you don't care about them."

"Oh, you did, did you?" Specter asked with the exasperation clear in his voice as he turned his head away with his eyes shut, "Well, me not caring about them, that's all true. I'll give you that. But you, bringing up the idea of me fighting only for myself? Tsk-tsk-tsk, you really should slow down and stop rushing to conclusions."

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you hadn't been so selfish," Strike replied angrily, "Most importantly, things would've been different and Sonic wouldn't have been taken away. But he's missing, we don't know where to find him and it's all because of you, you self-centered blowhard."

Specter's eyes went open in response as he turned back to Strike, "I'm sorry, but what do you define as 'self-centered'?"

"You do things that only matter to you alone," Strike responded, "And the only thing that matters to you is finding whatever it is you're scared off. If you really cared, you would have taken the chance of telling the others as I did about our situation."

Specter merely chuckled to himself at what Strike said, "Oh, Strike, your naivety is refreshing. And it is understandable as you're still just a kid."