09

~ phoenix ~

The Italian douchebag clicked his tongue. "Now... where were we, bella?"

"What the fuck are you on?" I hissed, tempted to jump out of the car to get away from the psychopath.

The grin was still plastered on his lips when he replied, "I'm just a great actor, I guess."

Irritated, I scowled. "What do you mean?"

"I could hardly show my lenience to a Russian doll in front of all those leeches, could I?" he laughed.

"Actually, I'm not—"

"Makes no difference. You look like one."

I hissed. Why did everyone say that? "So?"

Frowning at me, he tutted. "You still don't get it? The entire Italian Mafia was in that room. Even the Capo! You didn't see?"

I glared hatefully after the taunt. "I had a fucking blindfold."

"Of course. How could I forget? That is our custom — like in weddings, the women don't lay eyes on the man until he does first."

"That's fucking stupid."

Amused, Giovanni glanced at me. "Well, regardless, I couldn't risk showing any mercy in front of those preying eyes. I have a reputation for hating the Russians."

"You don't?"

"Of course I do!" he scowled, glaring at me.

I couldn't argue that it didn't make sense. His front had dropped as soon as we were in the car. Nonetheless, I was still sceptical of his intentions. "Why did you buy me?" I demanded.

Suddenly, the humour vanished. "I can't risk a war with the Russians right now."

Wait did he mean—

"You spent a million to return me home?" I questioned incredulously, with a tinge of urgency. He couldn't tell Ilya!

"Well... only after you're of no use."

Shocked, I couldn't help but let horrific images fill my mind. "And I thought you didn't want a war," I retorted bitterly to conceal the fear.

Warily, I leaned away, putting more distance between us.

Giovanni had the audacity to laugh. My arms came protectively around my exposed body.

"I would love to humour you, bella, but my damned heart belongs to someone else, I fear," he chuckled, even elbowing me like it was a funny joke.

"I don't believe you," I stated, shoulders hunching in relief.

More laughter boomed from his chest. "You're right. I didn't have a heart to begin with!"

Narrowing my eyes, I turned to look outside at the ancient structures that flew by. "We're in Rome?"

"Yes, home of the gladiators," he announced dramatically, before adding, "literally."

I couldn't resist a small smile at the bad joke.

The next minute, I stared in awe at the white brick buildings and occasionally, a marble masterpiece. Everything was gorgeous.

"I need to see Gianna."

"Ha!" Giovanni burst suddenly. "I knew you didn't land here by accident!"

Scowling, I tried to protest, "No—"

Unexpectedly, he turned to me with a glare. "That was very stupid of you, little Phoenix. Anything could have happened to you. Sometimes, some girls don't make it to the auction. And if I wasn't there—"