48

~ ilya ~

By three in the morning, all the guests had arrived. The men began to disperse towards Novgorod's back room, where the entertainment was waiting.

It had been too long since Phoenix had been by my side. Perhaps half an hour ago, she'd pulled away, wanting to stay and converse with the other women. Reluctantly, I'd agreed. I couldn't have expected her to follow me like a puppy and quietly greet my father's old allies. I was starting to regret that now.

With a frown, I made a move to the back room, where I hoped she certainly wouldn't be. I couldn't trust that woman around both Katarina and a pole.

All of a sudden, there was a firm hand on my shoulder.

Trying to conceal my annoyance, I turned to greet the guest. I was surprised to see Francizek and his wife.

"Dimitri," my Polish ally greeted.

"Francizek," I returned, "and Marzia."

The old woman smiled weakly, her eyes carrying the burden of something else.

"I trust our granddaughter is well and safe," she said, "and our great grandson, apparently."

Clearing my throat, I explained, "We wanted to tell you in person. Phoenix was looking forward to your arrival."

Francizek nodded, reaching out to pat my arm in congratulations. "We are happy for you both."

"I haven't seen Lena, yet," I noted, glancing around.

The last time Phoenix's mother and I had spoken in Poland, things hadn't ended well.

I watched in confusion as they glanced at each other, swallowing.

Then, Marzia opened her mouth, "Our daughter is missing—"

Francizek quickly intervened, "We haven't heard from her in three weeks, not since she went looking for Lyra."

I frowned as I straightened. "Are you sure that she's missing? This wouldn't be the first time she disappeared from Poland."

My words seemed to have struck a nerve.

His expression twisted with displeasure. "I would not have brought this up with you if I were not truly concerned for my daughter's well being, Dimitri."

"This time, it was about her own daughter. She would have returned..." Marzia swallowed, pausing before she continued, "We have many enemies in this world, Dimitri."

With a sharp sigh, I led them up to the first floor, where I had an office. The room was quite outdated, one I hadn't used in months. I shut the door behind us.

"Who do you suspect?" I questioned, pacing to the window.

Phoenix would not be pleased to hear this. I feared she would go off on another of her heroic escapes to find her mother. And this time, our baby...

Before the couple could answer, I said, firmly: "Phoenix does not need to hear about this... not yet."

"Of course, Dimitri," Marzia agreed, quickly. "And to answer your question, we— we don't know."