35

~ phoenix ~

"Um, Ilya?" I began, shrugging on the leather jacket he tossed at me.

We were preparing to leave for Petersburg, except there seemed to be a million people he had to talk to before we departed. Eventually, he'd returned to the room, finding me lazing around on the sofa. He sighed and I glared at him — like I had anything better to do.

Now, he was shuffling through some documents that the grey-haired, fat man — Chevy-something — dropped off. He'd promised we'd leave five minutes ago.

Glaring at me, he hummed, "Hmm?"

I rose from my seat and wondered over to where he stood at the dresser. Though I knew it was pointless to, I couldn't help but sneak a glance at the documents. The symbols were meaningless — I needed a Russian teacher.

But first: "Have you found anything in the ruby?"

"Пет," he muttered, "they can't get into it. It will take a couple of weeks." [No]

Feigning my disappointment, I sighed. "Are they still working on it downstairs?"

Nodding, he began to pack away the files.

"I'll go wait in the car, then," I said and added for effect, "Hurry up!"

Before he could protest, I fled the room.

Like always, the hallways were empty. A pang of sympathy stabbed my chest for the Duchess, who seemed so sullen at breakfast this morning. Was it always this quiet?

When I reached the ground floor, I was relieved to see that there were no men loitering around the entrance to the basement. My fingers found the concealed button and a minute later, I was walking past the stoic guard. Keeping my expression neutral, I entered the techie lair. Engrossed in their computer screens, the men didn't notice my invasion, nor did they notice my eyes scanning the room.

Where could it be?

Frustration creeping in, I made a third round around the dozens of computers.

"Are you looking for something, miss?"

I jumped, whirling around to meet a pair of crinkly eyes. It was the Chevy-something guy.

"Um, n-no!" I spluttered, defensively. "Why would you think that?"

"My apologies, miss," he responded, bowing his head slightly, "then, can I be of any assistance before your departure?"

I regarded his wrinkled face with scepticism and his shining eyes would seem kind if I didn't know what he was capable of. Would he snitch on me to Ilya?

Eventually, I formulated my answer: "Not that I was looking for it... or anything but since you asked, I was wondering, um, if I could see the ruby a last time? Because, er, I just wanted to check... er, that it was still in good condition and um, yeah..."

The old man paused, watching my face closely, before finally answering, "Of course, miss. This way."

Nodding with satisfaction and concealing my surprise, I followed him to front desk. He reached into a drawer and pulled out the crimson pendant, handing it to me.

"You keep it here?" I asked, unable to conceal my disgruntlement.

I was about to check there... I was!

"I can assure you, miss, that the chip is safe," he explained, before throwing me a knowing look, "I have heard only rumours of what lengths you went to, to retrieve this prize."

He deeply accented words sounded almost reverent.

Taken aback, I met his gaze. "Rumours?"

"Of course, they are kind rumours, miss," the old man chuckled, "telling the story of how you risked your life for our honour and our women, even without the Pakhan's assistance. Your bravery is greatly admired by every man in this room," he finished, gesturing around.

I followed his hand, glancing at unfamiliar faces. Bravery, he said... Honour...

Clearing my throat, I smiled, "Only rumours. You say the chip is safe?"

Chevy-something's face transformed from kind to determined, as he grandly gestured to the largest monitor in the room.

"Safe?" he scoffed, proudly. "It is more than safe, I assure you, miss. The chip is slotted into that computer and if anyone were to try and remove it without the access code, an alarm would be set off. The entire compound will be alerted of the intruder immediately."

My brows furrowed, pensively. "I see..."

And what if there were no intruder to say?

"My men are loyal, miss."

My eyes snapped back to the old man, surprised to hear his voice go hard. Then, I realised that I'd spoken out loud.

"Of course!" I rushed to explain. "I don't question any of your men, sir, I was just—"

"Phoenix!"

Both our heads shot to the entrance of the basement, where Ilya stood with a stern expression. I couldn't be more grateful for his interruption.

"Um, it was lovely to see you, sir," I muttered to Chevy-something before making my exit.

Ilya's hand came around my wrist, pulling me up with him.

"You said you were going to wait at the car," he scowled.

"Yeah, but—" I defended, conjuring an excuse. "—I was getting bored! You were taking forever!"

In response, he muttered something unintelligible under his breath. I yanked my wrist free before joining my hand with his. We were about to take a step out when a soft voice interrupted.

"You are leaving so soon," Anastasia observed.

The duchess stood a few feet away, eyes locked on our entwined fingers before they flitted up to meet my surprised gaze.

Smiling, she approached and clasped my free hand between hers. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Phoenix."

I let go of Ilya to reach forward and embrace the woman. She gasped in surprise, but nonetheless, I continued to hold her in my arms. I so desperately wished her blue blood didn't have to be a prison sentence. Perhaps, one day, it wouldn't be...

When I pulled back, I murmured, "It was an honour, your highness—"

"Anastasia."

Grinning, I corrected myself, "Anastasia."

After releasing my hand with a squeeze, she moved towards Ilya. "Dimitri," she stated, with a nod.

He bowed his head and returned, "Anastasia."

Their stares collided, ice and ocean. I was not blind to the tension between them, but curious.

Eventually, Anastasia tore her eyes back to me. Sucking in a deep breath, she offered a broad smile. "I wish you safe travels. And please, do visit."

I glanced briefly at the staircase behind her, before returning a grin. "Of course, I'll be back."

Ilya and I bowed our heads one final time before turning back to the open doors. Hand clenched around his, I followed him to the sports car.

As we zoomed away, my eyes trailed to the rear view mirror, where Novgorod was becoming a black speck in the distance.

NOTE:
Lots of 'fluff' to come, guys, DONT WORRYYYY — but what would a Phoenix story be without a healthy dose of action here and then? I will give you unicorns, bunnies and rainbows, I PROMISE, and then... blood and gore.
What if I finish TP before the holiday ends...? 30 chapters in a week... um....
xo, Rosavi