22

~ phoenix ~

Giovanni stared at me, blankly.

I wore a sheepish expression, standing on the threshold of the bungalow. Before I could open my mouth, a dark figure barrelled past him and into me. Caught off-guard, I hesitantly wrapped my arms around Gianna.

"Oh my god," she breathed into my neck, "you're actually here."

She suddenly pulled away, raking her eyes over my body.

I tried to smile at her. "...Yeah."

"Where did you go?" Giovanni demanded, pulling my gaze to him.

He wore a furious expression, eyes dark and dangerous.

"Um... out?"

Truth be told, Vera and I couldn't actually come up with a good lie. But I figured if Gianna was here, then I was safe...I hoped.

"Leave us alone," she barked at him, with a warning glare.

Then, she pulled me up the stairs and into the same room I'd been staying in.

I contemplated on what I should tell her. And what I shouldn't. Right now, my mind was in a state of chaos with scattered thoughts and conflicting emotions.

Shutting the door firmly behind her, Gianna led me to the bed and sat.

Her dark eyes rose to mine. "How are you even here, Phee?"

I stood, mutely.

She continued, heedlessly, "I-I mean, when your boyfriend came by, I thought you were in danger—"

"Ilya came by?" I interrupted, searching her face.

She nodded. "He thought you might have come to me. But I don't understand why you left him... I thought you lo-"

Gianna cut off, unexpectedly.

But I already knew what she was about to say. I did love him, with everything I had.

I couldn't think straight anymore. How much did Ilya know of my plans? And to seek out the Italians... he was desperate.

Glumly, I said, "I needed to talk to you."

I mean it was the truth, or at least it used to be.

To my surprise, she didn't interrogate me. Apparently, she already knew: "Giovanni told me."

I wasn't surprised.

She spun to face me then, face crumpling.

"Your risked your life to try and stop me..."

Glancing at my threaded fingers, I murmured, "You're my best friend."

"I have to tell you something, Phee," she said, "something I should've told you a along time back."

I had an inkling that I already knew but nonetheless, my gaze rose to hers, questioningly.