30. Encino Oaks Country Club

{1984}
Dressed to perfection and with a smile that could light up a thousand sky's, I felt ready for a night among some of the most elite in California. Dresses weren't usually my thing. But this one Ali helped me pick out for this special occasion, was actually a look I could get used to wearing.

"Wow honey

"Wow honey. You look..... absolutely beautiful. So grown up." My eyes trained on my moms in the mirror for a brief moment, seeing the glint of tears in her eyes from clearly standing there for a bit, just noticing how much things have changed since moving to Reseda. I would never be a rich girl, no matter what my mom was marrying into. But fitting in for even just one night, made me feel like the princess I always dreamed of being as a little girl, who just so happens to know how to whoop ass.

"Thanks mom. I feel completely out of my element." She chuckled along with me, just as Daniel's voice rang out into our apartment, signaling that it was finally time to go and face the place we somehow dreaded and looked forward to at the same time. Ali also asked him to come along with her, not looking forward to seeing her parents once again. And to be honest, neither was I. Going to her house to go clothes shopping, was just how I expected it to be. Ali and I are like night and day. But that's why we fit so well together. But her parents don't understand that. They think I'm "rough around the edges". Her mom is lucky that I didn't try out some of my moves on her. Mr. Miyagi really has gotten to my angry side huh?

"You'll be fine honey. Don't let them make you feel like an outsider. Because you aren't." Her words of encouragement were meant to help in some way. And they did somewhat. But the other part of me knew that it wasn't true. I would never fit into that world. But being around Johnny is exactly what I needed and wanted. More than anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{At The Country Club}
"This is my soon to be daughter, Nancy. She's a bright young lady with a very...... tough demeanor." Bob honestly didn't know how to handle the fact that I do karate. And do it so well at that. He's not a bad guy. Don't get me wrong. He just isn't what I thought my mom would want in life after the mess with my father. But with me in my senior year and eventually moving on to my future, she wanted something permanent. And well, I guess Bob was the only hope for her is exactly what she thought.

"Johnny absolutely raves about her all the time. She's a sweet young lady. And good for him as well." Johnny's mom, Laura, is nothing like you would expect. Especially being married to the man she is. She's a kind soul with a big heart. And would do absolutely anything she could for Johnny.

"Okay mom. They get it." My eyes immediately met the ones of Johnny, and my heart seemed to melt once more right in my chest from the mere sight of him. His boyish, slightly embarrassed smile and blue eyes just about did me in. Everyone seemed to vanish from that one look alone.

"You two kids have fun tonight. Johnny, watch out for her." Laura gave me the most gentle hug in the world, before trailing along with Bob and my mom to the bar to have a relaxing night of their own, leaving Johnny and I alone to bask in the beautiful set up the country club had for this occasion, one that Daniel was clearly missing out on. Ali's stuck up parents didn't make it easy for him to be around her. It made me mad more than anything.

"Look at you Nance. Miss badass looks fantastic!" I slapped his arm with a little humored smile, the clinking of glasses and laughter ringing out around us.

"Well Mr. Degenerate, you don't look so bad yourself." Our banter always had us laughing like crazed loons. Even in the middle of a fancy crowd.

"Johnny dear! There you are." My smile quickly vanished the minute Ali's mom approached with her award winning fake smile and over the top clothing to accompany the festivities. Without any words being said my way, she drug him towards Ali and left me a complete mess in the middle of all these people. Why did I bother coming?

"Don't look so glum sis. It's just a dance. He's crazy about you. By the way, your bestie is waving you down from the kitchen." Justin's actual words of encouragement, seemed to do the trick. Until the next few minutes played out like a ticking time bomb I knew would eventually go off. I knew entering into this world would be a disaster. But I never knew it would end up so badly. A rivalry that never seems to go away, fueled the worst thing imaginable to happen on a night I was terrified to attend to begin with.

"Daniel? Why aren't you in here? I could use the backup you know." The kitchen doors closed behind me once I entered to see what the problem was. He immediately turned my head to the focus of his attention. And my eyes began to water in frustration. Hurt. Sadness. Johnny's lips, completely locked with Ali's in such a kiss that I could barely stand to watch. Frozen to the spot, the only thing I could hear was the crashing of food to the ground, spaghetti splatter hitting my dress that was meant for the rich snobs to enjoy for the evening. But of course, I had to wear it.

"Daniel....." With the same look of hurt on his face, he ran from the country club and away from the disaster our night had become. But my eyes couldn't look away from the smirking face of Johnny. That is until he realized just what he had done. Our eyes locked in the middle, seeing the tears now rolling down my face in pure hurt, before I ran from the country club myself, not able to look back. The protests of Justin and Johnny could be heard from behind me. But I didn't want to stop. I had to keep running to stop from completely crumbling.