Better This Way: Sokeefe

@ChandelierHead and @ImaSokeefeFan, your Sokeefe requests! You both had similar requests so I basically just put them together and here we are!

(this is my very first Sokeefe oneshot; I haven't written it for weekly and no one requested it before now so it's strange to me that Sokeefe, one of the most widely known kotlc ships, is one of the only ones I haven't done yet)

Enjoy!

Calla's tree was peaceful today.

Petals drifted gently down to the grass below, spiraling around as they were caught in the breeze. The ocean below the cliff rushed gently, waves crashing against the shore down below. A sweet smell perfumed the air, the sun was warm, and the grass was soft.

There was absolutely no reason for Sophie to be stressed (not here, not now) but she was.

Stretching out on the grass did nothing to ease her anxiety, and none of the countless positions she moved to helped either.

Her finger tapped anxiously on her knee, and she simply couldn't stop the thoughts flowing through her mind; the responsibilities piling up and ticking past as she went through exactly everything she should be doing but wasn't.

And not only that; no, her brain decided she wasn't worried enough and added in some longing and wishing and hoping for something that would never happen.

Ice blue eyes and messy blonde hair swirled around in her head, and she couldn't get the sight out of her mind.

A Panakes petal fluttered down and landed in her outstretched palm, almost as if Calla was smiling at her from her tree. Sophie rubbed the soft surface gently, taking care not to crush the delicate petal. Pinching it between her fingers, she held it up to her nose, inhaling the sweet scent of the Panakes before letting it land back on the ground.

She tried to stop thinking about him; every time he crossed her mind, he was there for at least a few hours, muddling up her thoughts, and she was trying to be peaceful.

It was working.

At least, that's what she was trying to convince herself.

It was working just as well as being peaceful was.

Sophie sighed, flopping back into the grass. She squeezed her eyes shut and ignored the thumping in her ears, dismissing it as her loud heart.

"Sophie," a familiar voice sounded (not her heart; footsteps) right next to her. Rousing her from her thoughts (her unwarranted, unwelcome, completely wrong thoughts).

She bolted upright, and her thumping heart fluttered (she ignored it, of course) as she glimpsed Keefe's hand: outstretched, to help her to her feet.

She took it, nervous jitters spreading through her body at the intensity in Keefe's eyes.

"What's up?" she asked apprehensively, struggling to obey the voice that was telling her to let go of his hand.

He was dressed nicely today.

"Come with me," he grinned. She must have imagined the seriousness in his eyes, because he was all smiles now. She pushed away the twinge of disappointment. She had no right to be feeling these things about him (not that she was, of course) and he didn't need to be involved in anything right now.

She definitely didn't.

But at the same time...

Keefe grinned at her, holding his crystal up to the light. They glittered away, Sophie clinging to his hand as they rematerialized in a meadow.