12. Nao

"You're going where?!" A volleyball fell from Nao's hands after what she heard. "You're kidding, right?"

"I'm not, Nao-chan." Kaori shook her head. "I'm going to Karasuno, and I'll join their volleyball club."

They had just finish practice and the team was cleaning the gym. Kaori thought it was a good moment to share the news of the school she chose. Some of her teammates supported her, even though they didn't understand why she was going there. Others made fun of her. But the only one who had a different reaction was Nao, she wasn't happy.

"Kaori, are you stupid?!" She yelled at her. "You could have gone to any powerhouse and you chose that place? Why not Aoba Johsai? We could have stayed as teammates!"

The gym had gone quiet, the only being the argument between the two girls .

"I'm interested in Karasuno, plus, Tobio-chan decided to go there too." She got closer to Nao. "We won't be teammates, but we will get to play against each other! We always wanted to try that anyway!"

Kaori tried to hold her hands, but was pushed away.

"Oh, of course, you're following the King." She giggled. Her eyes were getting teary. "I always defended you when people said you couldn't think on your own. That wherever the King went, you would go too. And don't get me started with all the people who said you were useless for the team. You truly are the dumbest bitch I've ever met, Kaori."

"Nao, that's enough." A girl tried to stop her.

"Shut up!"

Kaori was startled for the way Nao was acting. Until now, she was sweet and never cursed, but she was very angry, and she didn't understand why. And how was this the first time she had heard about people talking bad about her? How could she be so ignorant?

"Seriously, what are you gonna do when you go to Karasuno? You're a good player, but you're nothing without a great team. We helped you get to the top, we helped you be the ace. If it wasn't for us, no one would know your name. I never thought I would say this to you, but it's just the truth." Kaori's heart clenched. It wasn't those harsh words that hurt her, but the person who was saying them. "Good luck trying to win tournaments with that unskilled team."

Nao saw her friend cry, but didn't back down. She was furious with her, she didn't care less that she was her captain or her best friend. All the admiration she had for Kaori vanished.

She let out a mocking laugh.

"Look at yourself, Kaori. Who's gonna defend you in high school like I did? The King?" She hated when anyone called Kageyama that. "You're too soft, you won't last long."

"Nao-chan, I'll show you that I can play and win." Kaori wiped her tears. "I- I will beat you, and even go to nationals with Karasuno. I'll show you that I can fly without your help." She whimpered. It didn't feel right to tell those things to the person she considered a dear friend.

"I'm gonna make you regret your decision."

[...]

"Why do you ask, Akari-chan?"

Kaori quickly remembered everything that had happened at junior high.

"It's just that it doesn't make sense to me why you came to this school when you had better options."

They cheered for a few seconds, because Karasuno had scored a point.

"I wanted to go to the same school as Tobio-chan." Kaori played with her, to see if she was going to believe her.