13. Losing a Match

Subsequently to Eiji and Akari running away from their house, they had stayed at their grandparents' house for some days, they knew they were safe there because their grandparents had cut off their communication with their daughter a long time ago. They couldn't asked anything to Akari, because she never answered back, in fact, she didn't say a word to anyone other than her brother, so they respected that, not forcing her to anything. They weren't too surprise when they saw their grandchildren on their doorstep with traveling bags and red sore eyes. They didn't hesitate to take them in for as long as they needed. The old couple felt guilt and shame for never helping them.

Eiji had been finishing the last arrangements to go to Japan. He had explained the situation to his father, and the reason they had to leave before they expected. His father had a sensation as if he was going to fall ill after hearing his son talk through the phone with a breaking voice. He couldn't even imagine how Akari was at the moment.

She had been dead silent most of the time. A part of her was happy and excited, because she would finally see her father and Makoto, and she was free from her mother. But the other part blamed herself for all the problems she had provoked. She had never seen Eiji, someone who always smiled brightly, be so gloomy. She had watch him cry while talking with their grandparents. If she had known that going away from their mother would bring him so much suffering, she would've endure the pain of being treated like shit by her.

The image of Akari's neck had been terrifying, the shape of her mother's hand was bruised on her skin. She had to cover it up when they went to the airport. When they had arrived to Japan, the two were greeted by their father and brother. The four of them had talked about everything that had happened, Takumi and Makoto couldn't held their tears back when Akari showed them her neck. They had wanted to sue Valerie, to give her what she deserved, but Akari stopped them from doing it.

"I want to do it when I'm fully recovered, both physically and emotionally." She had told them. There was another reason why she didn't do it at the time. She was waiting for someone else to come by.

In the few months they had free before they enrolled to school, helped Akari clear her mind and come up with a goal: start again and be happy.

At the start of the school year, Eiji had turned into his normal self again. He had joined the volleyball club, and claimed to have many friends. Akari had met Hinata, who she didn't think would be someone important, but he ended up being the first person she opened up to. Nowadays, he was still the only one who knew everything, besides her family.

Akari felt like she could finally leave the name Luciana in her past.

[...]

"They're already on the third set!" Kaori announced. "We missed so much!"

"Looks like it's been a difficult game." Akari said back.

"Shimada-kun, Takinoue-kun, how's the match going?" Makoto approached the two men he met the day before.

Akari had asked Makoto to bring her and Kaori to watch the game. He accepted, because he wanted to watch it as well. He had a good first impression of Karasuno Boys' Volleyball Team, when they played against Dateko. Especially of Hinata. He never thought that little boy who was so energetic would actually be a great player. Makoto knew Hinata still had a lot to learn, but he sensed some amazing potential in him. The weird fast attack he pulled off with Kageyama had stunned him.

"Oh, let us tell you." Takinoue smirked at him.

They explained the whole match very quickly so they wouldn't miss what was happening at the moment. From Oikawa's powerful serves, to Kageyama being switched with Suga at one point. Akari couldn't believe she didn't get to see him play. They said that both teams had their momentum, but then it got stopped by the other team, and so on.