Prologue

"Alright, Colt. This is the last chance we have for giving you a home now. I'm sorry but very few people are looking to foster or adopt a 17-year-old boy," Mrs.Green explained as we drove to my new foster home. "This is a nice family. A mother and father of a young man your age. They are looking for a kid to help get through college. You should really try and stay with them. It will really help you."

I sighed and continued to stare out the window. At this point, I hate it but, I have given up on ever finding a home. Let alone get to college. I leaned back in my seat. "I'll try and stay with them, Mrs.Green," I replied, with little to no expression. "How do you know these people are good though?"

"Well apart from the normal formal visits and check-ups, their son is one of a kind. Very kind and likes to please people. I thought he could help get a smile on that face of yours!" She smiled and patted my shoulder. "You'll be fine."

I just nodded and closed my eyes. A guy my age huh? He was probably the type who was nice only when strangers were around and a brat to his family. Or the type that only did things to benefit himself and his family. I've seen these types of people before.

I didn't open my eyes again till I felt the car stop. I opened one eye and in front of me was a huge mansion! These guys were the ones with all the money that we're going to try and make me into their slave and pay to keep me quiet.

Mrs.Green patted my shoulder. "You know the drill," she teased. I nodded and grabbed my backpack from the back seat. It's not like I had much.

We both got out of the car and walked over to the door. I hesitated to knock on the door but Mrs.Green patted my back to comfort me. I wonder how these guys will treat me. I knocked on the door and after a moment it was thrown open. From a house like this, I expected neatly dressed people, but to my surprise, a boy was in the doorway who was just wearing a t-shirt and jeans. He must have been the son. He didn't look like a servant. He grinned and extended his hand to me for a shake. I shook his hand. I guess he didn't seem bad.

"Hey! I'm Wrighton. What's your name? My mom and dad refused to tell me anything about you. Said that they wanted us to get to know each other for ourselves or something like that... Come inside!" Then he looked over at Mrs.Green with the same smile. "Good to see you again, ma'am!" He let us inside and pointed to a couch in a huge room. "Make yourselves at home. I'll get my parents," He said, then disappeared up a huge flight of stairs.

"See? Nice guy, don't you think?" Mrs.Green smiled.

I nodded. "So it seems."

It didn't take long after that for Wrighton to come back down the stairs with his parents behind him. The father introduced himself as James Williams and the mother introduced herself as Mia Williams. They sounded nice, but I wasn't going to put my guard down anytime soon that was for sure. As the Williams talked to Mrs.Green my eyes wandered over to Wrighton, who was stretched out in an armchair. He was pretty good as far as looks were concerned; blond hair that covered one of his violet eyes, fair skin, was rather fit, and tall. He also had ear piercings. Yeah, he was pretty good looking.

After a while of the adults talking Wrighton stood up and walked over to me from across the room. "Let's go upstairs. We can find you a room and get you unpacked," he smiled.

I nodded grabbing my backpack and followed him up the huge staircase. I followed into a bedroom that I assumed was his. It looked rather normal. Nothing special about it other than that fact it was huge.

Wrighton sat on his bed and looked at me, "So what was your name?"

"Colten."

"How old are you?" he tried.