Chapter 2 -- Trusted

(Colten)

"You're making so much progress, Colten!" Mr. Thompson smiled, closing my folder.

After I moved to Williams's home five years ago, Wrighton convinced me to see a therapist. It really helped. I feel like I did make some progress. Not as much as I thought I should have, though...

Mr. and Mrs. Williams never adopted me. Then again, I was only with them for 8 months before I turned 18. Even after I became a legal adult they kept me around. Mr. and Mrs. Williams treated me like their son and Wrighton and I were closer than anyone I had ever been with before. He was truly amazing. Helping me through my trauma and panic attacks. I even almost forgot my curse. Well almost.

I like Mr. Thompson. He was very chill and patient with me. I told him a lot of what happened in my past but I never brought up my curse. He wouldn't believe me. I haven't even told Wrighton that. Better explain that...

One day after escaping an abusive foster home I made a wish. I wished for my pain to disappear. The wish seemed to ricochet back into a curse. I was able to feel the full pain of others in a 1,000-yard radius since then. The William's lived in a huge mansion on 100 acres of land. No one was ever hurt here. Well except for the occasional stubbed toe. Other than that this place was my safe place. I haven't told Wrighton about it because he was the sweetest guy I have ever known. I didn't want him to think I was crazy.

"Times up for today, pal. I'll see you next week!" Mr. Thompson smiled and reached out to shake my hand.

I shook his hand and nodded, "I'll see you then."

I walked out of the meeting room, keeping my eyes on my feet until I made it to the lobby. I looked up to see Wrighton, who was sitting in a chair on his phone.

"Wrighton?"

He looked up from his phone and immediately smiled, "Hey Colt. How'd it go?"

"It went well. Mr. Thompson says I'm doing better. Am I?" I asked, fidgeting with my fingers.

Wrighton got up, walked over to me, and placed his hands on my shoulders. "Yes, you have! I'm very proud of you!"

I sighed in relief and rested my head on his shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around me for a moment before saying, "Not that I'm not enjoying this, but I got to get to practice. Wanna tag along?"

"Sure," I replied, pulling away from him. I really hope I didn't bother him.

I did seem to be doing better. I had a panic attack a couple of times when I was alone with Mr.Williams. He didn't do anything but that didn't stop the flashbacks. Now I was fine and could have a normal conversation with him. The same with Mrs. Williams. I was eating and sleeping better too.

Wrighton smiled and went back to grab his phone, which he left on the chair. I noticed his texting screen open with an unfamiliar name.

"W-Who's Trixie?" I decided to ask.

"Oh, just a girl who left here right before you went in. She seemed kinda stressed so I gave her my number and we've been chatting."

I looked back down at my hands again, "A girl, huh?"

"Hey don't go there," Wrighton said, grabbing my hand. "You know I love you."

I nodded and squeezed his hand. I hope he knew I loved him too. I don't remember the last time I smiled. I guess I have forgotten how to do it. The same with saying 'I love you'. I just could never bring myself to say those words. If I could do those things I would be smiling for Wrighton and telling him I loved him every chance I had. But I couldn't. Even though I had been with him for years, I haven't even been able to kiss him. It never seemed to bother him. He was always affectionate toward me in other ways, but...