Drink Up

The Abernathy mansion loomed in stark relief against the moonless night. It was a massive home, the largest property in town. In broad daylight, it gave me the creeps. At night, it was just plain scary, especially because of the monsters I knew dwelled within.

Margaret pulled the car into the wide circular drive, and then she and Josiah—my vampire shackles—escorted me inside.

"Miss Ehlert. Please, come this way." Conrad Abernathy, the patriarch of his growing vampire clan and Head Watcher of the jurisdiction, greeted us. Not wasting time with useless human chatter, he gave my hand a quick pat and then gestured to one of the many doors off the cavernous foyer. If he was surprised to see me at this late hour, he didn't show it. Then again, he'd been expecting me. I had yet to learn why, other than he had something for me.

"Thank you," I said. My heavy-booted plodding sounded like cannon fire in comparison to his graceful footfalls as I strode beside him. "Just wondering . . . am I in trouble? If I'm going to be in trouble with anyone, human or otherwise, I suppose it would be you."

Much to my annoyance, Mr. Abernathy laughed. "Why, may I ask, would you be in trouble?"

I wondered if he was baiting me. "Um, because I nearly attacked someone tonight?" He would find out about my little indiscretion soon enough, if he hadn't already, so there was no use trying to hide or deny it.

Mr. Abernathy patted my hand again. "But you didn't, and that is something to be proud of."

"Well, I would have if Josiah and Margaret hadn't interrupted me. I would have ripped out that guy's throat." I shuddered in recollection, appalled at how quickly my capacity for human empathy had already been buried under the predator's instincts.

"Blake," Margaret said, trailing behind. "Haven't you heard of quitting while you're ahead?"

"Huh?"

She offered a thin smile. "In other words, my father is the last person to whom you should be confiding your perverted fantasies."

"Perverted fantasies? I don't—"

Mr. Abernathy chuckled. "No worries. I like you, Miss Ehlert. However, listen to me," he said in a sudden cautionary tone as he leaned in closer. "Every new vampire must learn his or her way. As your adopted family, we will guide you in whatever way we can. You must make the right choices in this, your new life."

I didn't know how to respond, which was just as well, seeing as how Mr. Abernathy didn't give me the chance. Instead, he pushed the swinging door inward, holding it open so that I could enter before him.

"Allow me to show you what it is I have managed to conjure up," he said, his breath warm against the back of my neck.

We entered the kitchen with its fluorescent lighting glinting off the hard edges of the stainless-steel appliances. Stepping forward with cautious curiosity, I took in the gleaming countertops, barely stifling my gasp when my eyes landed on the woman seated in a leather reclining chair on the opposite side of the room.

"Is she . . . what I think she is?" I asked, pointing a finger in the woman's direction and whispering as though afraid she might hear.

Mr. Abernathy raised his hands in a comedic shrug. "We are in the kitchen, are we not?"

"Fair enough." I cleared my throat, feeling as though something was lodged deep inside.

Mr. Abernathy continued as though I hadn't spoken, moving past me to rest a hand on the woman's shoulder. She didn't move. She didn't even blink.

"Mr. Larsen, with whom you are acquainted, has a keen nose for blood. While you were still human, he mentioned that he had never smelled blood quite like yours."