Matters of the Heart

"Is John back yet?" I asked as I entered his house. I'd been checking my phone obsessively throughout the day, but there were no missed calls or texts from either him or Andrew.

"No," Ian replied. He did a double-take when he saw me. "What's happened to you, lass? You look as though you've had a scare."

"Nothing," I lied.

I dropped my bag on the floor and slumped next to Ian on the couch, attempting to keep the enormity of my secret from showing on my face. On the way over, I had tried convincing myself that the bodily reaction I'd experienced due to Josiah's kiss was nothing more than an adrenaline rush. It didn't matter that he was my vampire sire; I didn't like him. Considering it was a match of convenience as opposed to love, I doubted he cared about me one way or the other.

"How was school?" Ian asked.

I gave him a look. "Do you honestly want to know?"

He laughed. "Humor me."

"Boring and tedious, just like high school is supposed to be."

We sat in silence after that, though I was vaguely aware of muted voices coming from upstairs—Thomas's and Olivia's. I wondered what would become of them, as well as June.

How must June be feeling? She could have spent forever with Thomas, but instead she had chosen to remain human. I snorted with suppressed amusement, wondering if she was regretting that decision now.

"What's so funny?" Ian said beside me.

I shook my head. "Nothing. So . . . what can you tell me about Hannah?"

The corner of Ian's mouth lifted. "Fishing for information?"

"Humor me," I said, throwing his words back at him.

Ian linked his fingers behind his head and put his feet on the coffee table. "What would you like to know?"

What would I like to know? That was a loaded question.

Ian had alluded to the fact that Hannah and John had been involved once upon a time, but did I really want to know the details of their relationship? "I just want to know what to expect," I said at last.

"Hmm . . . For one thing, Hannah is insanely gorgeous."

My stomach fell. "Really?"

"I wouldn't know," he said with a shrug. "I've never actually met her."

I hit him against the chest with the back of my hand. "Idiot."

"John spoke of her only once."

"And?"

He looked at me. "Ye want to know if they were in love."

"No," I said, lying again. And then, with a relenting sigh: "Fine. That's exactly what I want to know."

Ian's gaze softened, and I knew what the words would be before they came out of his mouth. "There was something between them. Ye heard what John said, though. Whatever it was is in the past now."

I took a deep breath, trying to untangle the jealousy that had my insides in knots. "How old are you, by the way?" I said, changing the subject. "I've always wondered."

"I was born in nineteen hundred and twenty-two," he said.

"You look pretty good for your age, old man."

"I am still quite young, relatively speaking."

"Who is the oldest vampire, do you know?"

He shrugged. "There's no telling."