≛ chapter eighteen

AUGUST 1978

Donna rubbed her eyes as the entire California gang sat around a table in the little cafe on the corner of the street.

"I miss Eric," she moped.

Lucy shifted uncomfortably. "Isn't he the one that broke up with you?"

"Well, yeah," Donna countered, "but I've known him since we were kids. Even if we're not together anymore, I'm still going to miss him as a friend."

"I love him," she added after a few seconds passed.

Juniper met Archie's eyes, and he offered a sad smile, clearly upset about Donna's mood.

"Don't worry," Michael said with a tinge of bitterness in his otherwise comforting tone. "We're going to have to go home soon anyway, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right!" She was noticeably more cheerful at the thought. "No offense, guys," she said, addressing Lucy, Archie, and June, "but Kelso, can we leave soon?"

"Why don'tcha stay for longer?" Lucy interrupted coaxingly. "Even for just a little bit."

"I don't know. You all have been great, but I think it's time we go home. What do you say, Kels?"

Michael whipped his head towards Juniper with wide eyes, and she mirrored his expression. "Donna, maybe we can wait or somethin'-"

"I'm sorry, but I can't do it anymore!" Donna exhaled, exasperated. "I miss him. I think I'm going insane. That guy over there even looks like Eric!"

"That guy" turned from the counter to face them. 

"Oh, my god, that guy is Eric! Eric!"

The scrawny man's face lit up. "Donna!"

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear, huh?" Archie muttered as the rest of them watched her run to her ex-boyfriend and sappily make up with him.

"Fuckin' hell," Lucy grumbled.

"Yeah, that's where the devil's from. A-plus, Luce," he grinned cheekily.

Juniper eyed her. "You alright?"

"As soon as the summer ends, she misses her asshole ex and runs back into his arms. How stupid is that?"

"Jealous, much?"

"Shut it, Clark. This is why I'm dedicating myself to free love. Love who you want, fuck who you want, and screw commitment." A mirthful smile made its way onto her face. "You should've adopted that earlier this summer, Junie. Would've made for a lot less drama."

The four of them laughed. "Free love sounds pretty cool," Michael admitted. "But I don't think I'd be able to do it. I think I like having someone to belong to and that belongs to me."

Michael pulled Juniper's blonde hair back and kissed her cheek. She hummed. "I like it, too."

"I don't want you to go."

"I have to."

"You'll write back, right?"

"Of course I will."

Juniper pursed her lips, her blue-green eyes watering slightly.

"Hey, hey," Michael soothed, running his hand through her hair. "Don't cry, Buggy, it's okay. We'll see each other again. I don't know when, but we will. I promise."

She nodded, "Okay," and pressed one last kiss to his lips. She inhaled the gingerbread scent of him, held him as tightly as possible, did everything she could to take a mental picture of him in her memory.

He pulled back and smiled softly before sliding into the driver's seat of his van.

"I love you, Michael," she murmured.

"I love you more, Buggs. Don't ever forget that."

"I won't."

"Until next time then, yeah?" Donna smirked.

Archie grinned. "You bet."

The trio waved as the van started rolling down the street.

"See ya, fuckers!" Lucy hollered when they reached the end of the road.

All they saw was Donna's outstretched middle finger before they turned the corner onto the highway.

LOLOLOLOL WE JUST NEED AN EPILOGUE

(not) brought to you by this being a short chapter but I'm gonna do a relatively thicc epilogue so shh

(not) brought to you by donna highkey giving me bi  or lesbianvibes (if my hints at that weren't obvious enough I'll smack myself)

(not) brought to you by in my life - the beatles ("in myyyy life, I'll love you more)

brought to you by lissy ;)