≛ chapter seven

JULY 1978

Just as Archie had done just two days before, Michael examined himself in the cafe window. He wondered why he was compelled to do so, especially since he was only hanging out with his Buggy. He couldn't be bothered to read too far into it.

Michael entered the cafe and spotted Juniper sitting at a table in the back. "Sorry I'm late," he flushed. "I thought you'd get here a bit later."

A small smirk rested on her lips. "I work here, Mike."

His face fell. "Oh."

Juniper laughed, tossing her long blonde hair over her shoulder. "Don't worry about it, though."

He smiled softly at her, just thinking for a moment. That was his Buggy. He still found it hard to believe that she was sitting in front of him again. His eyes followed her small hands as she nudged a tiny cake toward him.

"What's this?" he asked her curiously.

"Chocolate raspberry cheesecake," she shrugged. "From the bakery down the street. I want you to try it."

Michael suddenly noticed that she didn't have a treat of her own. "Well, that's not fair to you. I can't."

"Trust me, it's fine." He watched as Juniper picked up the fork before her and broke off a piece of the cake, holding it out to him.

Stubbornly, he shook his head. "No."

"Come on," June teased, gently prodding at his lips with the prongs on the fork.

"I-"

"Gotcha." As soon as Michael had opened his mouth, June had slipped the fork in and successfully shut him up with a mouthful of cheesecake.

Michael sneered at her, but he was unable to withhold his little giggles. "Y'know," he said, his words muffled by the pastry in his mouth, "if you're trying to cut down on sweets for your weight or something, you really don't have to, 'cause you're probably the hottest-"

Juniper was quick to cut him off with a light pink dusting her cheeks. "No, it's not for that. I just..." she trailed off before picking up again hesitantly, "...a few days ago, I ate way too many sweets with Archie and-"

Michael swallowed and frowned. "Archie?"

Juniper bit her lip. He was looking at her in that puppy-dog way. Like he was curious and confused, but also slightly hurt. She didn't want to hurt him. But she didn't know how to keep herself from doing so. "Yes."

"Who's that?"

"That's the guy you saw when you and Donna first got here. You know, dark hair, blue eyes...?"

"Oh, I got it." Michael's face was expressionless, which truthfully frightened June. It was a stark contrast from the consistently bubbly and animated boy she knew. "Is he your boyfriend or something?"

Oh, God. That was the one question she hoped he wouldn't ask. She couldn't lie to him, though, could she? No, it was too late for that. "Yeah, uh... he is."

Juniper could have sworn she heard him mutter "Damn!" under his breath, but she quickly brushed it off as something her mind fabricated.

Attempting to lighten the mood, she nudged the plate toward him once again. "Are you going to finish this or what?"

Michael sent her a playful glare before shoving the remainder of the cake into his mouth. "Delicious."

Juniper rolled her eyes and stood. "Come on, dillhole."