I

Disclaimer
The first two chapters have an array of time jumps. It can get confusing
(Especially if you don't have my fantastically drawn timeline in front of you.)
(It's not fantastic... I can't draw :( )
Long story short
There are two timelines
12 months - 8 months = KETTERDAM (establishment of past)
Then
3 months - PRESENT = JOURNEY.
(Construction of the current situation)
Both follow a singular character at different moments in time.

***
Does the world end in darkness or in light?
***

***Does the world end in darkness or in light? ***

KETTERDAM

(12 months before the fold)

Kaz Brekker had pissed her off. Now one may ask, how has her wise, courageous friend managed to
invoke such emotions?
....
One word

Punctuality

Stars vaguely decorated the sky over Ketterdam, the city lights rendered the universe misted. Smoke huffed from chimneys and stalls, world wonders lining table after table. The Crow Club bustled with life.
The auburn-haired woman tugged at the edges of the black corset that was tightened around her khaki shirt. Hickory coloured trousers clung to her legs as deep brown boots hugged her calves... many eyes watched her form, hate, lust, intrigue. Gazes swirled together in one scope.
She didn't join soirées suited to delinquents, Celeste simply took to sitting night after night scanning the ever cheating bastards tossing away their coin in the Club. Tom Gavlin on table three had two Ace's wedged up his left sleeve, a spade and a diamond. The man couldn't play for shit yet was admirably dedicated to losing his assets. Corbin Jones on table one had been tossing away his counterfeit Zemeni coins like piss to water, making the ruse all the more obvious... seeing as he usually lacked even two Kruge to his name and a place to rest his head.

Loud voices conversed back and forth, arguing, appraisal, laughter.
Saints she wanted her bed.
Her back rested against the deep oak countertop, a glass of cheap whiskey swirled in her gloved right palm. The substance tasted strange, an odd mixture of charcoal and tobacco, yet still finished with the familiar burn. It kept the nights short and the company slightly more tolerable. The woman sighed gesturing towards the barman for another drink. Fleeting moments, untethered bonds, and faces that come and go as they please. No one stayed long in Ketterdam. She watched the glass fill with whiskey, the golden liquid sloshing around.
That's what made life so easy.

Typically In the early hours of the morning, drunks slouched in the darkened corners of the Crow Club, many men still gambled away their coin for the thrill of the win. She couldn't go until at least one of the other Crows had returned to the club, an un-watched room is a dangerous one.
"You're meant to stop them cheating" the all too familiar voice spoke to her far right, the rhythmic tap of a cane against the oak
"And you were meant to be back two hours ago" she hummed, crossing one leg over the other, sending a pointed look in the man's direction.
"I pay you for overtime" Kaz kept his weight completely off his right leg, the crow head cain clenched in his palm.
"Not as much as Inej" she finished her drink in one gulp tapping it down on the countertop gently
"Inej does her job"
"I would do my job if I got paid more"
"You'll get paid more if you stop them cheating" the woman sighed before she turned her head in the direction of the door, a tall, built man clad in black stood stationed by the exit, she connected her gaze with his. She simply held up three fingers followed by one. The old man nodded before starting across the Crow Club
"Done, now sit down, watching you strain like that is giving me muscle fatigue" The dark-haired man rose his brow as she patted the stool beside her. He sat down.
"You taught them signals"
"Pay me more and I'll teach them to dance" Amusement flashed in Kaz's eyes as he shook his head, removing his bowler hat and placing it onto the counter beside her empty glass.
"Give me another lesson. And I'll give you 5 extra kruge a day" by seeing the man meant to see how she sees. Minor details, secrets shrouded in plain sight. She'd been teaching him for a little over three months. The boy was smart, genius even. He just needed to refine his eye for details.
"An hour" she smirked
"Absolutely not" Kaz side-eyed her
"Remain ignorant" she waved her hand in dismissal turning her gaze to the rest of the club
Silence fell between the two Crows, she watched the dark-eyed man study the side of her face, a soft smirk twitched at the corner of her lips.
"Three" he begrudgingly grumbled tapping the head of the golden crow on the handle of his cane.
"Deal" she paused and turned her jade eyes to table two, gesturing her head in its direction.
"Tell me what you see" the dark-haired man nodded, before, too turning his attention to the table.