●Strangers●

♡"Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends."♡

C H A P T E R O N E
////__________/////_________////

"Call me every chance you get okay?" Dawson's hands cupped my cheeks as his hazel eyes bore into my brown ones.
I pushed him away wiping away the wetness his clammy hands left behind.
"Ew Dawson!"
He laughed before grabbing my bags off the ground and throwing them into the trunk of my 1975 mustang cobra.
I rubbed the top of my dog's head as Dawson continued putting the bags in the car. There weren't that many considering I didn't have many clothes.

It felt unreal. Though my childhood officially ended when I turned 18, this is the day where I'm forced to admit that I'm not a kid anymore.

I'm an adult.

I looked around the front yard of their Tudor mansion. I knew they weren't coming, they couldn't, or so they say.
Dawson and mines Mom and dad, Lisa and Richard, were in New York, being psychiatrists, and whatnot. They don't have time to come down to say goodbye to their youngest child. But they'll go see their other two kids all the time.

College wasn't always in my cards. I had never planned on going, not until the accident. It made things difficult. And not only that, mom and wanted me to be a lawyer, they said I would be good at it while I wanted to become a book publisher. I was aiming to get my bachelor's degree in English, both my older brothers and Aunt Katie had told me to forget what my parents said and to do what I wanted to do. So that's what I decided to do, my parents were furious. But I didn't care, never have.

Dawson gave me one last hug before pushing me towards the driver's seat. "Go before your late"
"okay but make sure you feed bolt," I told him indicating to my white Huskey. "Give him baths once a week, make sure you don't leave him outside for too long, you need-"

Dawson waved a hand "Dev! I get it I know what to do, will you just leave already?"

I stared at my older brother for a long moment, he looked so much like our dad at times and other times all I could see was them.
Before I lost my nerve, I climbed into the car and pulled out of the driveway.

Your new life begins now Devon James.
____________________________________

Salta bay.  It wasn't very well known same as my small town. The only thing people knew about the city was its amazing schooling, especially its college. My aunt Katie had gone here and now so am i
SBU has been my dream college, my entire life. Aunt Katie told .e stories about her college days here and I wanted nothing more than to feel the same way she felt going to this University.
It's hotter at Salta bay than I thought to would be. Aunt Katie said it would be. The town I lived in was cold year-round so the warm weather was almost soothing.

I stood staring at the large buildings in awe, barely noticing my phone ringing.
"Hello?" I answered the phone still in a haze. I've only been there once before and I was still awestruck by its beauty.
"Devon, I've been trying to reach you for the last 7 hours, what are you doing that is so important you ignore your mother?"

The person on the other side of the line sounded all too familiar. The same monotone voice she's always had. As a kid, I used to say she sounded like she was dead.

"I was driving to SBU remember?" Devon responded. It was silent for a moment before she answered.

"Right you left for College today, Well good for you but that's not why I called you I need you to tell Dawson he needs to pay those house bills immediately they're getting pretty stacked up"
I pushed the speaker button and set the phone on the roof of my car while I began pulling bags out.
"Mom, we're low on money right now-"
"- then get jobs for the love of God, your both adults now!"