Chapter 1

TUMELO
_________

It was yet another Friday morning, in Lesotho, Maseru when the clock  struck 6'oclock and that was the time I got ready for work. The sun was blazing hot to the extent that I only slept with a small fleece and had short pyjamas on.
I get up from my warm bed and reached for the floor finding my sleepers which I put exactly two inches from the bed. First thing I do every morning is going for a jog. I'm trying to have that summer body, besides to  keep myself healthy and be super active throughout the day. I emerged to the bathroom washing my face with cold water. On top of the washing basket was my jogging clothes, I quickly jumped into them ...my phone vibrated from the bedroom I went to pick it up. On the screen reads incoming call from Lebogang, my sister.
Lebo: "rise and shine" She said sounding like she's in a good mood.
Me: "Already up" I smiled
I balanced the phone with my shoulder while I wore my training shoes
Lebo: What time will arrive at? Cape Town is ready to welcome you with warm hands and of course to throw the best birthday of the century
Oh It's my birthday tomorrow. How can I forget because I'll be turning 21 baby
Me: I'll there before midnight or after that... around that time but what I'm sure of is, I'll be gone from Maseru after 18:00.
Lebo: What time is the flight?
Me: 19:00 on the dot. I'll take the Bloemfontein route then from there fly straight to Cape Town.
Lebo: oh okay, (excitedly) can't wait to see you, I'll be there to pick you up from the airport, it's not safe out here especially after what happened in Khayelitsha
Me: What happened?
Lebo: 5 people were found dead. There were shootings are happening yestarday night...so it's really not safe especially at night.
Me: ohh
I got speechless. Things that are happening nowadays are quite scary
Lebo: But don't worry, I got you. Just call me when you arrive
Me: Got it, thanks for the offer
Lebo: Anything for my little sister.
Me: "I'll be 21 for goodness sake I'm not little anymore" I scuffed
Lebo: You'll always be my little sister.
I grabbed a bottle of water locking the door while the phone is still on my ear.
Me: I'm not little thou
Lebo: Yes you are.
Me: No I'm not.
Lebo: Yes you are
Me: Know what for the sake of my sanity- I'm not going to argue with you.
Lebo: That's because I am right.
Me: "Whatever Lebogang," I know that if  I do argue it will be a long one.
Lebo: You're not gonna defend yourself today (laughing)
Me: No. What's the point?
Lebo: oh poor little sister.
I hate it so much when are calls me little. I'm old. But I mean what can I do
Lebo: Do call when you emerge from Lesotho okay?
Me: Will do
Lebo: I love you
Me: I love you too.
I made kisses on the phone while she does the same and shared a laugh.
We both hung up ending the call in a nice tone and I started with my day. Our family originates from Lesotho, Mafeteng but my father had a vine yard in Cape Town. Thus my father and late mother moved there while me and my sister stayed with Grandma this side. Lebo got a job in South Africa two years ago and I luckly got a job as a company secretary here in Lesotho after my graduation in April this year. Unfortunately my grandma passed away this year in May and my mother died four years back from a lung disease. I know that they would be happy to see their daughters making it in life.
_________________________~_______________________________
When I arrive at work people are already moving up and down going to their offices. There will be meeting in 30 minutes so I get down to work, preparing the boardroom for the meeting. Today's meeting is important as it is the Annual General meeting which is where the financial reporting is done and new directors are elected. I made sure to send the financial statements to all the relevant people before the meeting starts and got the minutes of the previous meetings with me. Soon shareholders, directors, CEO all the board members came in the boardroom and soon the meeting started, three quarters of the room was filled by white men. Only two women were in the executive
I first did the greetings and read out the minutes of the last meeting and the issues that were raised.
Financial reporting was done by the CEO, a white man who was also the founder of Mob Agricultural (Pty) Ltd.
"...there has been a fine imposed on one of our factories since it emitted toxic chemicals to the eco system which may amount to R 2 million meaning this may leave us low on cash flow  and cause problems in the following year. Any suggestions on how to solve the issue?"
No one raise their hand. I slowly put my hand up
CEO: Yes?
Me: I think if we buy machine...
CEO: We are not paying you to 'think' Miss Mahlasela. What does another person have to say?
Mr Roodt raised his hand and he picked him, he is one of the biggest shareholders we have in this company.
Mr Roodt: If we change the materials we use or perhaps change the machinery and used a more sophisticated one that reduces toxic emissions it could be better.
CEO: Good point raised there.
And I wasn't even given a chance to speak.
Directors were elected and I had to assist them in the proper induction, orientation, ongoing training and education also including assessing the specific training needs and executive management in their fiduciary and other governance responsibilities. It's part of my job.
Before I clocked out today I sighed a leave form for 5 days then at 17:00 made my way back to my apartment preparing for my trip. I packed a few clothes and  toiletries. Double checked for my passport, all packed and ready to go , I ordered an Uber to take me to the airport.
I'm so excited to finally meet my family, it's been six months without seeing them for me that's torture coz when I was back in university ( National University of Lesotho) I would visit often when it's vacation.
I called Lebo when I departure from Moshoeshoe I International Airport. I also called my father letting him know that I'm on my way.

When I had my seat I  put my earphones and listened to my playlist watching the clouds through the plane window as the plane took off. You know that feeling of hope when you're finally gonna see your family, it feels like Home. You feel complete
I skipped a song to coming home by P. Diggy
"II'm coming home
I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the world that I'm coming
I'm back where I belong, yeah I never felt so strong (yeah)
(I'm back baby)
I feel like there's nothing that I can't try
And if you with me put your hands high"
After a couple of hours I landed in the Mother city
Seeing the lights from above, the buildings and the lights. The scenario is breathtaking, I'm always amazed by the beauty of this city. I love it, it has many things as compared to Maseru, it has an ocean which I am looking forward to especially now that it's summer.
When I arrived at Cape Town international airport, Lebo and my father were waiting for me. It was in the middle of the night around 02:00 when I arrived. Lebo stood next to dad in a blue Cardigan and jeans, hair let loosely on her shoulders making her light brown eyes quite noticeable. Dad waved at me, when I was up close I  noticed more grey hair on his head and more wrinkles.
"Happy birthday!!!" They had board written in bold. Happy birthday Tumelo and balloons
Me: Thank you
I gave them a big hug, it was the most comforting and warm feeling in the world, I felt like crying.
Me: I missed you
After some time we pulled off . My father looked at me proudly
Father: Looked at you. Beautiful as always
Me: Aw thanks dad
Lebo: She's glowing, they are definitely paying her good money back there. Mmmh birthday girl
I simply smiled,
They helped with the bags and put them in the bakkie, the old version of Toyota. We cracked jokes, catched up on the latest news.

Me: Lebo who exactly killed those people
Lebo: We don't know honestly, they suspect the drug lord of the biggest cartel running the streets, it was even in the news.
Father: That man is untouchable. The police has been on his tail for a long time now, but don't catch him.
Me: Who's this 'untouchable' man ?
Father: Scott Picasso
Lebo: Can we talk about something else. Tell me what you wanna do for your 21 birthday ?
She asked at me cheerily.
Me: ahh  go to the beach.
Lebo: Wrong answer. I have just a nice surprise for you