Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Eric

There are moments in life when we take risks. Sometimes those risks are worth it, because there's a reward at the end. Or sometimes people put themselves in a risky situation to save someone they love.

Then there are people who take risks because it makes them feel alive, or so they tell themselves. In reality, it's for something more than that. Maybe seeing a member of my pack taking a step forward, his hands shaking and voice trembling just to put on a brave face and sacrifice himself to a monster, made me a bit of a risk-taker too.

Now I found myself in a situation I never wanted to be in, all because I said 'fuck the risks' if it meant he was safe.

Seojoon sat beside me, the envelope still clutched in his hands. There were miles separating us from our destination, and the only way to get there was a train ride and a supposed 'lift' we'd be expecting once we got there.

Four hours. We had to sit here for four god-damn hours. There was nothing to do while we waited, even with our phones we couldn't risk using them in case the battery died. It was the only way to stay in contact with the pack if they contacted us, so we sat in silence.

Seojoon sent out a text the moment we sat down, receiving three in turn. My phone buzzed in my jacket pocket but I ignored it, deciding there was no point answering if Joon already told them we were fine.

"Evan is telling me to tell you to answer him."

I stared out the window, watching the snow pass by. Everything was so dark and dreary in the winter. I wondered if I liked it because it reminded me of myself. How melancholy, I thought.

A nudge of my shoulder brought my eyes to my right, meeting Seojoon's gaze. I looked away uncomfortably a second later, deciding it was best not to look at him for long. It was too distracting.

"I said to answer your phone."

With a deep sigh, I pulled it out of my pocket and unlocked it to see seven messages, almost all of them coming from the beta. "You already told him what's going on, why the hell do I have to answer him?"

"I don't know Eric, maybe because we could be going straight to our deaths." He glowered. "Besides, we're a pack. Show some respect."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Seems redundant, that's all."

"Tell that to people who care about you."

I hated when he said that to me, like I needed to be reminded. I never thought about why he did it because I ignored the thought and moved on. Instead I focused on his voice; sometimes I would talk to him just to hear it. The subtle accent made me appreciate it even more, and when he spoke Korean I always asked what he was saying. I picked up a few words, but not enough to understand what he was talking about when he was on the phone with his parents, a smile always on his face.

"You're doing it again."

I turned to look at Seojoon, and this time I didn't look away from his brown eyes. "What?"

"Moping."

He wasn't being rude, but I still glowered. "And here you are, complaining as always."

"I'm not complaining, simply stating the obvious. You're broody."

"Sorry that I mope then. Must be nice to be happy all the time."

Seojoon broke eye contact and leaned back further in his seat, making his chestnut coloured hair stick up at the back. "Don't start this Eric."