Chapter One

In case any of my readers haven't read 'Everything Anew', I am putting a short recap at the last chapter (of 'EA') to tell you a little more of the backstory of what happened in book one. I hope this helps some of you if you decide not to read it.

If you have not read Everything Anew, please read that first so you know what's happening in this chapter since it leaves right off the last chapter of book one. Enjoy! And thank you for reading <3

~

Chapter One

Seojoon

Sometimes it's easy to look at the world and see it as monstrous. Death, hatred, darkness, nightmares, we walk through all of it and feel overwhelmed, we feel like giving up, but there's also good in it too. Life, love, light and dreams surround us as well, but some of us can't see it past the monsters looming over us, stalking us.

And one of those monsters now stands at the threshold before us.

Orion's eyes are wide, pale blue framed by white hair. I can't look into them for long, not without feeling like his gaze alone could suck the warmth and colour out of me. Those same, soulless eyes scanned us, and I could almost sense his disapproval.

"Where are the alphas?"

Markus stepped forward, taking on the temporary role. "Busy. What is it that you want?" he asked. His tone was less patient than usual, probably because the last time we saw Orion, he had left when Skoll arrived and took Nathan. The memory was still fresh in my mind, making me hate him even more.

"I came for my end of the bargain, and I don't have time to wait around until they return to ask for it."

A mixture of fear, anxiousness, and anger rolled off the pack around me.
"What is that exactly?" The beta asked.

Orion tilted his head at Evan and smiled, but it looked forced, as if he was trying to hide behind a façade. "I need a shifter to come back with me." I couldn't breath. "I asked for a favour in return for Lila's freedom. If you don't keep your end of the bargain, well then, I guess your alphas will come home to a few of you missing."

"Threaten us again you fuc-"

I managed to grab Eric's jacket and pull him back, ignoring the growl he directed towards me from stopping him. There was no point starting a fight, it wouldn't work in our favour regardless of how many of us there were.

"What'll happen if we go with you?" I asked, my voice uneven.

Orion looked at me finally, as though he hadn't noticed I was there until now. "I'll return you in due time. I just need to track someone, and vampire's sense of smell isn't as keen as a dogs."

Eric growled again, but I kept a tight hold on the back of his jacket. I didn't trust the vampire at all, but we were limited to the choices we had. We knew accepting the key and agreeing to his terms would end in this, but it didn't make it any easier.

"Fine, I'll go." I called out and stepped forward.

"Like hell you will!" Eric shot back, standing in front of me and blocking my path from Orion. "You're not going anywhere near him."

I noticed the flash of swirling blue in his eyes, his wolf surfacing. "Eric, one of us has to."

"Seojoon, it's too dangerous." A different voice broke me from Eric's gaze.

I turned my head to Markus, seeing the concern etched on his dark freckled brow, shining from his brown eyes. I gave him a soft smile and shrugged my shoulder, feigning confidence. "You have to take over as alpha while the other two are gone. Evan is beta, that just leaves us."