i

"Cancelled?  What do you mean, cancelled?"

"I mean, the theater program is shut down."

"Why though?  So many kids love it, why did it have to stop?"

"We had a low budget already.  The school decided that it was best to stop pooling money to us and use it for new computers and sports equipment instead."

Tommy bristled.  He didn't speak out of line though, he wasn't in the mood to get in trouble.  It was too early in the year for that.  Normally, he would have cussed the teacher out, but decided that he could rant to his friends instead.  They cared just like he did.  They would understand. 

The bell rang overhead, and the teacher smiled down at Tommy sadly.

"Believe me, I'm as upset as you are about this."  

I doubt that.

"But there's nothing I can do.  And there's nothing you can do, either."

We'll see.

"Head off to class.  You'll be late."

Tommy turned on his heel, muttering a goodbye before stalking off to Chemistry.  He had to scale a flight of stairs to get to his classroom.  To do something as he walked, he fiddled with the white hem of his shirt.  The red short sleeves spilled over his shoulders as he shifted them to match his stride.  The male soon stood outside of the Chemistry room.  He slipped in quietly, earning a glare from the teacher for being late, but continued teaching regularly.  Tommy sat next to a brown haired boy, who looked up at him with round, dark green eyes.

"Where were you?"  The male asked worriedly.  "I took some notes for you, if you need to catch up-"

"Hey, Tubbo."  Tommy said shortly.  

The boy, Tubbo, narrowed his eyes.  "Your in a bad mood today."

"The theater program is canceled."  Tommy hissed.  He ran his fingers through his blonde hair frustratedly.  "The school stopped funding it."

"What?"

The teacher had stopped talking, staring instead at the two boys, who suddenly became acutely aware of the silence.

"Sorry."  Tommy muttered.  Tubbo murmured an apology as well.

"It's the first day of school.  Don't fall behind this early."  The teacher warned, before turning back to the board.  The two sophomores fell quiet, silently agreeing to talk after the period.  Tommy copied the short paragraph of notes Tubbo took at the beginning of class, and added on as the class progressed.  

The bell finally rang.  The teacher handed out a worksheet for homework before sending them on their way.  Thankfully, neither Tommy nor Tubbo got in trouble in interrupting class.  The two boys had an off period, so they walked to the cafeteria, picking a small table to talk.

"A lot of people will be so upset when they find out," Tubbo muttered.  "Like Dream?  Phil?  They're both seniors, and they can't do what they love."

"That's exactly what I said.  And incoming freshmen can't take part either."

Tubbo was typing rapidly on his phone, undoubtedly sending the news to the group chat.  Sure enough, notification's began popping up on Tommy's phone as second later.

Tubbo
The theater program is cancelled

Dream
What?  Are you sure?

Fundy
no way

Niki
This is a joke, right?

Tommy
No, not a joke.  I just talked to the director this morning.