viii

The sun was setting across the parking lot.

The group had been there for hours- Techno wasn't involved a lot, though.  He was reading the book that was assigned for English, something about Greek Mythology.  If you were to look over his shoulder during those hours, you would see him pouring over the chapter about Theseus, pushing up his thin, rectangular reading glasses every so often as it slipped down the bridge of his nose.  

Wilbur insisted on writing Karl into the script, and at this point, there was just shy of thirty complex characters.  Nearly everyone was doubting that Wilbur would be able to actually fit everything into a two and a half hour, easy to understand stageplay.  Ranboo was still insisting on being part of the crew instead of the production, insisting that he didn't want to preform, but Wilbur plowed him down immediately, saying that he should be at least a stand in for one character he had in mind.

All of the characters were based around people Wilbur had met- all of his friends and a few aquantinces.  A lot of their personality was flooded into each character, and the person playing them had a corresponding backstory.  Well, that was the goal, anyway.  He could spice things up here and there to make the show more interesting.

After all, there's no way something as big as a heavily detailed, fatal duel near the beginning of the plot would ever happen in their school.

No way.

"Hey Techno?"

The pink haired male glanced up, glasses glinting in the fading sunlight.  "Whatd'you need?"

Ranboo fiddled his fingers together nervously.  "Are you free tonight?  At least of an hour or so?  I wanted to get some more training in today-"

"Yeah, sure.  Just let me finish up this page."  And his eyes were back on the paper.

"I'll stay too."  Phil said, plopping down next to a surprisingly calm crow a few feet away.  "I gotta sketch out a bird for my science class."

"Oh, Phil, that reminds me, how old are you?"  Ranboo asked.  "I mean, I know your a senior, but you look a bit older so-"

"I am not 'old', mate."  Phil sighed, streching out his legs.  The movement made the crow hop a few steps away from Phil, who winced and brought them back underneath him, gently cooing for the bird to come back.

"He is."  Techno drawled.  "Not, like, extremely old, of course."

"Yeah, of course not."  Ranboo quickly affirmed.

"Phil was held back twice."

"Ay!  The only reason I was held back was because I failed, like, forth grade or something, and the second time was sixth."

"How?"  Ranboo internally winced, hoping he hadn't gone too far, but Phil just laughed and rolled his shoulders back.

"Stupid, really.  I spent too much time outside with the crows, so I didn't get a lot of my homework done.  I always daydreamed in class, especially when I was younger.  A lot of the time it was about flying." Phil sighed again, watching as the crow reluctantly hopped a little closer; he extended a hand carefully.  "God, I always wanted to fly."

"So, in other words, Phil's 20.  Just shy of 21."

Phill rolled his eyes dramatically. "Geez, mate, I was having some really emotional flashbacks, and that's what you just have to pop out'ya mouth?

"I was just answering the question."  Techno shrugged, watching as the crow fluttered on Phils wrist.  After seeing Ranboo's look of shock at the crow, he laughed a little.  "Phil's good with birds.  Mainly crows.  It's just the energy he has.  I swear, he can't go an a thirty minute walk without a whole murder following him."