vii

There hadn't been a note for days.

Eret had gotten Niki in the auditorium, now both of them were in the shop.  They flicked on the lights, the smell of wood and paint filling their noses as they stepped in.

"I technically should be studying French right now."  Eret grinned down at Niki.  "But I wanted to show you something first."  He gestured to the low table, where a rectangle of cloth was spread, held down by weights at the corners.  It was blank."

"What's there to show?"  Niki said, eyeing it.  "There's nothing on it."

"Exactly.  I want your help designing a flag."  And, seeing Niki's confusion, Eret continued, "For the district in the show.  Oh, did you hear?  Tommy and Wilbur decided to name it L'manburg."

"What kind of name is that?"  Niki scoffed playfully.  "Yeah, of course I'll help."

Eret shot a quick text to Wilbur, who was also on an off period, asking for help.  He agreed, and showed up minutes later.

After sketching a rough design, they began to decide colors.  Black, with a blue, white and red stripe, yellow highlights, and three X's- one yellow, two red.

"Hey Eret, can you get your brushes from your locker?  Yours is so much better and the one's here are crusty as hell."  Wilbur said from the sink, trying to scrub some yellow paint from the bristles that was there for God knows how long.

"Yeah, of course.  Give me a second to grab them."

After putting the cap on his sharpie they used for outlines, he walked out, having to duck under the door with his already tall height on top of a few inches of platform boots.  The door clicked quietly behind him, and he turned to the hallway.  He had to be quiet- first period was still going.  He walked quickly and quietly to his locker and opened it.

A small slip of paper fell out.

Eret knew what it was.

He shouldn't look.

He already knew what was inside.

He bent down, scooping in into his palm.

I don't have to look.

He glanced around the hallway- there was nobody there.

I don't have to look.

His hand was shaking.

I don't have to look.

He carefully found the corners that folded it together.

I don't have to look.

He wedged his thumb in the crevice.

I don't have to look.

He flipped open the note.

9276 Castleveiw Drive

That's my address.

How do they know my address?

The boy glanced around the hallway- nobody was around.  Sweat was forming on his hands, heart pounding much harder than it should have been. 

God, I shouldn't have looked.

What do I do? Act normal?  Or take my chances with telling?

Deciding on the latter, he grabbed the brushes and rushed back to the auditorium.

"Hey Eret, what took you so-"  Niki cut off, frowning at Eret's pale face.  "What's going on?"