Chapter 28 - Final Kiss

Warm, snuffling breath tickles my nose, making my eyes blink open

Warm, snuffling breath tickles my nose, making my eyes blink open. I look up to see the large black snout from the huge wolf who appeared after dad's death hovering above my face. He's standing directly above me, his coarse jet black fur is standing on end as he intently watches over me.

Tiredness washes over me in waves, such an intense exhaustion, like nothing I'd ever felt before.

My eyes flutter and roll in my skull, desperate to close, so I can let the serenity of sleep in. But it isn't sleep that is creeping over me, but rather the icy hands of death that wrap around my throat, only allowing short gasps of air in.

I know the truth is the glass has punctured my lungs, they are slowly filling up with my blood until I drown here on this cold hard pavement.

My blood is now a crimson, sticky puddle beneath me which the black wolf's paws are standing in. He seems unconcerned by this. This beast is death after all, he is not bothered by the minor details, but only the end result.

I know deep down if I close my eyes, I will never wake again.

Deaths's attention on me is not malevolent, he is simply here to move me on. The fear I felt previously for him has now faded away, like nothing more than a bad dream, for the reality is far harsher.

He is simply patiently watching and waiting for me to close my eyes.

My teeth chatter violently in my skull as the chill of death seeps in. As all life slips away from your body, so does the warmth. The beast lowers himself gently down so he's hovering, his thick fur lays gently above me and warms my dying bones. He's not permitted to save me or stop what is to come, but he will try to give me some comfort in my last moments.

Silently I mouth the words, 'thank you'. I'm touched by his surprising kindness. He nods in acknowledgment.

This silent exchange between us is halted by a ear shattering hiss, then the beast is flying backwards with great speed into the air as Liten Vampyr has grabbed him by the hind legs and yanked him off me with such force.

Once he's completely away from me, she runs at the beast, kicking him in the stomach with such mite and precision she almost looked like a footballer scoring the winning goal.

He skids, crashing into the fence, but as quick as a flash he's back on his feet, yellow sharp teeth now bared. The fur on his back raised, his snarl is a warning she isn't prepared to heed.

"Keep away from him, you cannot have him," she growls, her fangs now also out.

Head down, a snarl rumbling out from the pit of his stomach, he slowly edges towards her- but she isn't afraid. She is fuelled by rage not fear.

He knows a change of tact is needed, he steps casually forward, which is met with a growl from Liten Vampyr. But he carries on, and as before he transforms into male human form.

He raises his hand to signify he has no wish for further quarrel with her. "You know I have no say or choice in this, it's beyond both of us".

She scoffs, then spits directly in front of his feet, defiant to the bitter end.

"He's dying Liten Vampyr, I'm here to guide him over".

"No".

"He has only moments left, let those moments be peaceful before he transitions over"he pleads.

"No, you cannot have him as well. I won't let you take him, he's all I have." She sobs.

"You have no choice in this, you cannot stop what is meant to be, you know this little one. You have lived many years on this earth, but for most; him included their time is fleeting-from their first breath to their last".

Silently, I watch on as her emerald green eyes flash from him to me beneath the veil of black hair that masks her illuminating face. I see a spark, a brief moment flash across her usually stoney face, as if she's finally seen a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe it's acceptance.

"You're right. I can't stop death".

My beautiful little monster that has guarded over my family longer than I will ever know comes to lay by my side. On this disgusting, dirty alley floor with broken glass and fag butts, she snuggles in close and nestles her head onto my shoulder, her hair draping over me like a security blanket.

I take in every inch of her beautiful face and I think to myself, if this is to be the last thing I'm to see before I die, I will die a happy man, to have known such a person as Liten Vampyr. My only regret is that I'm not permitted more time to get to know her better.

I spent so much time hating and resenting her for taking my dad's attention like a childish brat, I didn't realise what she was really trying to do for him and me.

Her fingers run through my hair, down my face and trace around my lips. As if she's trying to preserve the moment in her mind forever, the truth is, her forever is just that .... forever, a never ending stream that washes down the river with her being dragged along. She lives with nothing more than memories.

"Oscar, I'm sorry for leaving you on that beach, I should..".

I push my fingers up to her lips to stop her uttering another word. None of that matters anymore, what is done is done. She kisses my fingers and smiles, she knows I'm stopping her having to relieve that horrendous night, for her sake as much as mine.

She leans in closer, her lips puckered to my ear then whispers. "He's right, I can't save you, I'm truly sorry for that. But I can give you something I wasn't offered before I died".

"Stop." Death shouts, his voice echoing and booming through the alley. But his fierce words just fly past her with little impact.

"The choice to die forever or to become like me. I was robbed of my chance to decide my own fate. I will not do the same to you. If you wish and if in your heart you want more, I will give it to you".

"I'd be Vampyr like you, I'd be wandering around forever on my own," I splutter out.

The thought of never ending loneliness is more than I can bare, these last months have taken a toll on my soul. I could not do a lifetime of isolation.

"Yes Lilla Du, you would be Vampyr for always like me- but not alone, it would be us together always".

She sweetly turns my tired head to face hers and gently kisses me on the lips. Her lips are as cold as ice but as soft as snow. I know this was either a last kiss to say a final goodbye, or a kiss to seal our eternal pact.

"It's up to you. What do you choose, Oscar ?".

The End - For now