Chapter 1 - Who's At The Door

I jump with a jolt, as if shocked by electricity, as my body cracks and aches from sleeping for a brief moment in the hard chair. I glance over, hoping he's not been awoken as I hear the thumping getting louder from the front door, echoing through the silent house.

Stumbling down the stairs as quickly as my body would permit, trying to reach the banging door before he is awoken. I catch a glimpse of a small figure through the frosted glass of the front door, silhouetted by the street light that illuminates through the darkness.

As I faff with all the locks and chains, I gently open the door - well aware of how it creaks and screeches in protest when opened.

I half-open the door to see the petite little frame and culprit of all the noise. She steps forward into the light that floods out from the front door and lowers her hood that shields her face from the night.

'Can I help you?' I mumble, trying to contain my irritation.

'I'm here to see Lucas' she mumbles.

'Are you a friend of his?' I question curiously.

'Yes, old friends', she fires back. 'Please invite me in'.

My sleep-deprived brain is trying to catch up, eyeing her up and down trying to work how she was friends with my father. I'd never met her before but knew there was every possibility they were friends; he was well-liked in the community by all his neighbours.

Her appearance is quite striking, her long tumbling jet black hair and pale skin that is unnaturally illuminating even in the darkness of night but these are nothing compared to her green eyes, that pierce through me with such intent- if I wasn't so tired I would have been quite intimidated.

'I'm sorry, it's the middle of the night and as you probably know my father is very ill, he's sleeping now but by all means, come back tomorrow in the day time'.

She growls, annoyed by my reply. 'I wish to see Lucas now'.

'No it's the middle of the night, come back tomorrow.' I hiss, trying to keep my voice low so not to wake him.

She steps forward with her hands grabbing on to the door frame, her nails digging into the wood, as if she wishes to charge through me, but doesn't.

'Tell little Viking I will come back,' she snarls.

All patience I have is now gone, I'm exhausted and what little energy I have isn't going to be wasted on whatever this is. I muster a smile and mutter 'sure thing', then I slam the door on her, instantly regretting it as the bang of the solid wood door shakes through the sleepy house, like vibrations of my irritation at being wakened at this ungodly hour.

I step to the side and my body slides down the wall, exhaustion flooding over me. Tears start to prick at my eyes but I don't let one single tear fall.

'I have to be strong, I have to be strong for him' I repeat again and again trying to convince myself I have some kind of choice in this.