Chapter 2

Finally, everyone was done unpacking, they gathered outside the lobby and headed for the eatery inside the Pokémon centre. Once seated, Brock started fawning over the waitress. Ash stared gloomily at the comedic scene for a while before turning his attention fully on the food and gorged himself with it.

'Jeez, Ash, slow down, no one is going to steal it.' May said disapprovingly.

'Nah, I just want to hurry and finish so I can go and train. I need to work harder in order to become a Pokémon master.' Ash said with a mouth full of food.

'Alright, alright, what you need now is to not die of choking so you can train and become a Pokémon master.' Brock said and reached out to wipe away a piece of food at the corner of Ash's mouth with a napkin.

This took Ash by surprise and he jumped slightly. To hide the growing heat on his face, Ash hastily swallowed all the food in his mouth and dashed for the training grounds shouting something about training, Pokémon master, and be back at nine.

'Doesn't Ash seem a bit weird today?' May asked.

'Really? He seems the same to me.' Max said.

Brock didn't say anything, but stared after Ash, deep in thought.

After dinner, everyone returned to their rooms. When Brock went back to his room Ash still hadn't returned. Surveying their room, Brock noticed a narrow window on top of the wall that he had missed earlier. He edged towards it and squinted through the glass. Turned out their room was directly beside the training grounds but a floor higher, giving Brock a bird's eye view of everything below. From there he could see Ash training with Pikachu and Swellow, shouting out moves and cheering them by their side when they made a mistake. Brock smiled lightly. He had always found it amazing how Ash always seemed to be able to recover almost immediately from whatever shock and impact and bounce back at full speed. He truly was a stunning ray of sunshine. My sunshine. Yet to think this exuberant boy was almost taken away from him today... Brock grimaced as his heart hammered painfully against his chest. As someone older, as a good friend, as Ash's longest travel companion, and as a... Brock paused and stopped his feelings going that way before it was too late. Anyhow, Brock had always made it his duty to take care of Ash and to steer him away from danger, yet... Brock sighed, he moved away from the window and slumped on his bed, which is directly across Ash's. He stared at Ash's belongings – his sleeping bag, toothbrush, clothes... am I really doing a good job? Am I really worth being beside him? he wondered.

A gentle knock at the door broke Brock away from his thoughts. He stood up, walked towards the door, and opened it. It was Nurse Joy.

'Oh, hi Nurse Joy, what brought you here? It's so late already.' Brock asked.

'Brock is it? Sorry to disturb you at this hour. Here a list of stores with the ingredients you asked about earlier today. I hope it helps.' Nurse Joy said, smiling.

'Ah yes, this is a would help a lot, thank you so much, Nurse Joy.' Brock said.

'Well, if there're no more questions, I'll takemy leave now. Have a good night.' said Nurse Joy, and Brock bid her goodnightas well. As she turned to leave, she wondered out loud, 'he seems a lot quietercompared to before, I wonder if he's feeling alright? Anyhow, I wonder whenpolice Jenny will arrive?' shrugging, Nurse Joy walked down the corridorwithout looking back.