ᴀᴍ ɪ ʀᴇᴀʟ? - ʀᴀɴᴘᴏᴇ

Trigger Warning!
This chapter contains derealization, please be cautious if that makes you uncomfortable!

<3

Ranpo dashed down the cold, dim sidewalk. He was headed to Poe's apartment by himself, hoping he didn't get lost.

But this time it wasn't to check out his new mystery novel.

Ranpo could tell something was wrong with Poe over the phone. Poe's voice would crack whenever he said anything, he sounded like he was trembling. No matter how many times Ranpo asked if he was okay, or something was wrong, the other wouldn't budge. He heard something drop on the other line, and the end dial tone.

So the worried detective took it into his own hands. But why was he worried? Poe was his opponent, he was in the Guild.

Well, was, but Ranpo managed to persuade him to leave. It was hard considering it risked Poe's life, but he trusted Ranpo. So he risked it all.

Why was I the only one who could convince him? Ranpo thought as he continued to sprint down the cement.

Now was no time to think these meaningless things, because he finally reached the authors apartment.

knock knock

He knocked abruptly, but not too eager at first.

"Poe?"

knock knock knock

A little quicker knocks.

"Poe?! Are you alright?"

knock knock knock.

Louder, clearer knocks- no, more of a banging.

"That's it, I'm coming in!" he shouted a little quietly, and opened the door.

It was dark inside, and freezing cold.

The hell? the detective thought, as he looked around the empty living room.

Why am I here? I should be sleeping-

His thoughts stopped when he heard a slight whimpering sob from the other room, he began to bolt for that room.

He found the other curled up on the floor, examining himself.

"Poe?" Ranpo called out to him, leading him to jump.

"Hey, what's wrong?? Poe? Talk to me?" Ranpo ran to the others side, as he just stared at Ranpo.

Well, you couldn't be able to tell because of his bangs in his face.

Ranpo reached up and brushed the latters bangs out of his face, only to be met with glossy, grey-ish eyes staring at him in shock. He looked scared.

"Ran..Ranpo..!" Poe began a sobbing mess again, falling into the ravenettes arms.

"I'm r-real, right? R-Ranpo, please. I'm n-not real a-am I?" Poe whimpered, as Ranpo continued to stare in shock. He hesitantly put his arm around Poe's back, and one to cradle his head.

"You're real, Poe. Okay?" Ranpo broke the contact, only to place a hand on Poe's face and make him look at Ranpo.

"Listen to me. You are real. We are breathing the same air right now. You are in my arms. I am real, you are real." He said, pressing their foreheads together.

Poe closed his eyes and nodded, still hyperventilating.

"Breathe, baby. Breathe."

Wait, did I just call him-

Ranpo ignored what he just said as his face turned beet red, luckily Poe wasn't paying attention.

~

After Poe's breathing steadied, he rested his head on Ranpo's chest, exhausted. His tear stained face was still slightly red as Ranpo combed through his hair.

"R.. Ranpo.." he stuttered, trying to push out his name.

"Yes, Poe?" Ranpo asked thoughtfully.

"I uh.. liked when... -at"

Ranpo chuckled and looked confused.

"What did you say? I couldn't hear you." he cradled Poe's face to stop him from burying it into his chest.

He admired Poe for the split second he could see his whole face.

His face was pale, his lips looked surprisingly soft, his eyes were so grey and empty, but so astonishingly beautiful and engulfing.

"I liked it when you called me that." Poe said clearly this time, but averting eye contact.

"Call you wha- OH. Oh. Ohh. You mean baby?"

Ranpo smiled softly, rubbing his thumb in circles on the others tear stained cheek.

Ranpo never acted like this before. He was in love with this man.

Shit. He was in love with him.

He snapped back to reality to be met with Poe's red face, silently nodding as he bit his bottom lip. He was so cute when he got flustered.

"Okay then, baby. Are you feeling better now?" Ranpo slightly teases and combed his fingers through the others hair.

Ranpo liked calling him that as well.

"You're doing that on purpose.. mm." Poe covered his face which somehow grew even more red.

"You're cute when you get embarrassed, I can't help it.

Poe looks up and looks shocked, but so does Ranpo. They both didn't comprehend what Ranpo just said until now.

But Poe just smiled, and huffed a quiet laugh while closing his eyes, leaving Ranpos hearting beating at his rib cage.

The ravenette noticed the dark bags under the latters eyes. Did it make him unattractive?
Not one bit. But it made Ranpo worried.

"Hey, are you sleeping okay?" this question caught Poe's attention.

"Uh.. well- hm. I-" he stumbled over words.

Ranpo reached up and pushed Poe's hair behind his ear, then cupping his soft face.

"I've never been good.. with uh.. sleeping alone.. to be specific.." he mumbled shyly, moving his eyes away.

"Hm. I'm right here now, okay? Let's sleep. You must be tired after all of that."

Poe was shocked by his offer. He expected him to laugh, or tease him, like the usual Ranpo thing.

Why was he acting so nice today?

~

Poe laid in Ranpos arms, he immediately fell asleep after they lied on the bed together. Ranpo smiled and brushed his hair out of his face, saddened by the sight of the irritated skin where tears recently stormed.

"You must've gone through so much. It was tough, I know it was." Ranpo spoke more of to himself than Poe, considering he was asleep.

He noticed the other was trembling, so he pulled up the blanket to cover him. He pulled him into his chest a little more, and began to comb through his hair.

Before the ravenette fell asleep, he kissed the others forehead.

"I'm right here, baby."

_______________________________

a/n: I know the way they're acting in this doesn't seem canon; but i'm not going to make them act canon in every story!

this made me feel so lonely :,)

i'm going to try and post a new chapter everyday, if lucky you may get multiple, if unlucky you may have to wait two if i don't have the motivation.

:)