Turning the Tables

Zach's mother Helen pushed her silverware aside and unfolded the cream-colored linen napkin, draping it with care across her lap. "I have to say we were pleasantly surprised to receive a dinner invitation. It's been a long time. Not since before . . ." She seemed to realize what she was about to say and stopped, instead smiling at me over the table.

"Mom," Zach hissed under his breath.

"Sorry," she replied, pantomiming zipping her lips and throwing away the key.

Zach and I exchanged glances at his mother's not-so-subtle way of referring to our break-up that had happened this past July, now five months ago. Despite how much time had passed, our respective parents still held out hope that we would somehow find our way back to each other. But Zach had been casually dating Hannah, and I was taking a much-needed break from guys in general.

Still, there was an inherent easiness about Zach that I missed and longed for. More than once I wished John had never entered my world or introduced me to the underbelly of vampire society. My life had been pretty perfect up until then, and yet nothing changed the fact that Conrad Abernathy had been grooming me for this position from the beginning. My so-called perfect life had been nothing more than a temporary illusion, easily shattered.

"Blake was the one who suggested dinner," my mother said. "I would have had you over ages ago if . . . well, you know." She raised a brow in my direction.

"Does this mean that—"

"No," I said firmly to Helen, divining where her thoughts were going and immediately putting to rest any speculation that Zach and I were getting back together. "But that doesn't mean Zach and I can't be friends. And considering you and my mom are so close, I didn't want there to be any awkwardness between you guys. Besides, I've missed these weekly dinners," I added with sincerity. "Call me nostalgic."

Zach's father wrapped his fingers around the stem of his wine glass and held it high. The others did the same, and Zach and I somewhat more hesitantly raised our water glasses. "To nostalgia and good friends," Zach's dad announced.

"To nostalgia and good friends," we echoed.

I did my best to breathe as little as possible through the duration of dinner. My mother had prepared pot roast with potatoes and carrots, Zach's favorite. Although I was slowly acclimating to the offending odors of human food, certain smells burned my nasal passages and made me gag if I caught a sudden whiff. Taking a small but appropriate portion so as not to raise suspicion, I spent the next twenty minutes pushing around food and pretending to chew while Zach's and my parents talked and laughed just like old times. I watched them with an air of sadness. I would miss this.

When it appeared that dinner was finally winding down, I rapped the side of my glass with the tines of my fork to get everyone's attention. Conversation stopped abruptly and all eyes turned to me. "I have an announcement," I said, needing to clear my throat more than once to get the words out.

"Have you decided where to apply to college?" my father said hopefully. The future of my educational career had been a topic of conversation lately, one that I'd been dodging. Talking about it was pointless anyway.

"Not exactly," I said.

"Well, what is it then?" my mother asked, taking a sip of her wine though her eyes stayed firmly fixed on me.

I glanced down at my still-full plate, feeling unexpectedly embarrassed.

They won't remember.

Looking up again, I met each of their curious gazes in turn. "I just want to tell you all how much I love you."

No one said anything at first. It's not every day you sat around the dinner table declaring your love to others.