Chapter One

Wind blasted into Saphire's face as she flew against the wind beside her younger sister, Ivy. With their wings outstretched, legs and arms dangling, they flew right behind Nature, their mother, as they went to their den. As they glided swiftly downward, they formed a 'V' shape in the sky. The trio slowed as the neared the entrance. The fire was already lit as they curled up together in the leaves.

     A few minutes later, a neon blue and black baby dragon came in and yelled, "HEY!!!" Nature, Ivy, and Saphira quickly lifted their heads.

     All three of them looked questioningly at the young dragon. "This is my den!" The baby dragon, they could tell, wasn't going to let them stay.

     Despite the girl's rudeness, Nature stood up to her full height and declared, "no, this is our den."

     The mother's confident reaction made the girl growl menacingly and said, "grandma's going to make you leave." That instant, an elderly dragon flew into the cave, holding something in each paw.

     The elderly dragon looked urgent. "Lucy! Luna! Come here!" The neon blue and black dragon smirked before walking over to the dragon. 

     Another dragon that they hadn't noticed, walked over. "Onyx, mom! Is it time already?"

     Onyx nodded grimly. "I'm sorry Lucy. I can't help my old age. I just wanted to give you each a special item." The elderly dragon lifted a paw. Inside, was a tiny frame containing a black and white photo of a mother holding a newly born dragon. Lucy slowly and gently took the picture.

     Onyx then turned to Luna. "Dear, dear granddaughter. This used to be my grandma's." She then gently opened her other paw to reveal a shiny sapphire necklace. Luna stared in awe at the sight of the beautiful necklace, before grabbing it.

     She then turned with an evil grin, to the group behind her. "Grandma, they're trying to take over your den!" Onyx turned to the group.

     As she slowly walked over the cave window, she said, "they can have it." At that, Onyx flew into the night, leaving her granddaughter in a crestfallen puzzlement.

     Ivy, the youngest and most impulsive child, got up and said, "you heard her. This is now our den." Luna turned around to face Ivy, then glared and roared at her.

     Lucy glared at her daughter. "Princess Luna!" She only glared back at her. Luna then used her magic to make a dagger. When Luna faced the family again, she had it raised threateningly at Ivy and Saphira.