Ch. 23 Gunman

I didn't sleep well that night. I had a nightmare about my mother sitting in a cage at the zoo surrounded by laughing hyenas and calling for me to help her. Clemont woke me when he knocked on my door at seven. I answered the door still in my pajamas. He was dressed for school.

  "What's up?" I asked groggily.

  "Not you," he said. "My mom told me to come get you for breakfast."

   I rubbed my eyes. "Okay. I'll be right there."

   I went back to my room and put on my robe, then walked down the hall to the Citron's and let myself in. Breakfast was on the table and Clemont and his father were already eating. Mrs. Citron had made wheat toast with a fried egg in the middle.

   Mr. Citron was reading the paper and dipped it a little to look at me. "Good morning, Ash."

  "Good morning," I replied.

  "That's your plate," Clemont said.

   I sat next to him.

   At the sound of my voice, Mrs. Citron came out of the kitchen. "Good morning, honey. How did you sleep?"

  "Not very well."

  "That's understandable. You just make yourself right at home."

   I poured myself a glass of orange juice.

  "There are hash browns, too," Clemont said, pushing a plate my way. "With cheddar."

  "Thanks."

  "Is there anything else you want?" Mrs. Citron asked. "Do you need some ketchup or Tabasco sauce for your egg?"

  "No. I'm good," I said.

   Mr. Citron glanced at his watch and set down his paper. "I've got to go." He stood, looking at us. "You boys take it easy." Mr. Citron had an unusually deep voice that made everything he said sound like an order.

  "Yes, sir," I said.

  "See ya, Dad," Clemont said.

   Mr. Citron grabbed his jacket and keys from the counter, kissed Mrs. Citron, then walked out. When he was gone Mrs. Citron said, "I forgot the salt and pepper." She walked back to the kitchen.

   Clemont said in a hushed voice, "I wish I could go with you to the police station."

  "Me too."

  "Are you nervous to see him?"

  "Yeah." I took a drink of juice.

   Mrs. Citron walked back in. "Here you go, darling'." She salt-and-peppered my egg for me even though I didn't want it. "So, Ash, do you feel up to going school today?"

  "Not yet," I said. "Lieutenant Lloyd is going to pick me up at ten. We're going down to the station to talk to the man they put in jail."

   Her brow furrowed. "Oh? I didn't know that. Would you like me to go with you?"

  "No, I'll be all right."

  "How are you on clothes? Do you need some laundry done?"

  "I'm okay for now." The truth was, I'd been wearing the same clothes for three days.

  "Well, whatever you need, just ask. I'll just be your mama until your mama gets back."

  "Thank you," I said, grateful for how she'd said it.

   Clemont finished eating, then went and got his backpack. "I better get going." I walked to the door with him. "Good luck," he said. "Bones."

  "Bones," I replied. We bumped fists and then he walked off down the hallway.