Ch. 14 A Change of Plans

Merry Christmas and Winter Holidays n' whatnot

   I walked to the front office about as enthusiastically as a man on his way to the electric chair—and with about as much hope. I was ticking like mad—blinking and gulping. As I stood in the waiting room, the school secretary, Mrs Hancock, walked out of Mr. Dallstrom's office. She greeted me with a smile. "Hello, Ash," she said. "Mr. Dallstrom will be right with you."

   I swallowed. I was afraid that was the reason they were calling me. I had no idea why Mr. Dallstrom wanted to see me—I hadn't been shoved in a locker for days.

   A moment later he came to his door. He was smiling, which looked frighteningly out of place, like lipstick on a pig.

  "Ash, come in."

  "Yes sir." I followed him inside his office. He sat back in his chair and smiled again.

  "Have a seat," he said, gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. "How's school going?"

   I looked at him, wondering if some alien being had taken over his body. I slowly sat down. "It's fine."

  "Great. I just wanted to tell you that your detention had been canceled. I'm sorry about that little misunderstanding. And Mr. Xavier and his cohorts will be doing their time. I guarantee they won't be bothering you anymore."

  "Oh." It was all I could think to say. "Thank you."

   He stood and walked around his desk to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Ash, we're proud that you're a member of our student body."

   Now I was certain I was being punked. "You are?"

   "Absolutely we are." Mr. Dallstrom leaned back against his desk. "Ash, I have some terrific news. Two of Meridian's pupils have been awarded the prestigious C. A. Cyrus Scholarship to the acclaimed Galactical Academy in Pasadena, California. And you are one of them." He stuck out his hand. "Congratulations."

I gulped. How had they found both of us? I timidity offered my hand. When I could speak I asked, "Why me?"

"Why not you?" Mr. Dallstrom said. "Galactical Academy selects their elite student body using a closely guarded process that involves scholarship, citizenship, and character. I am told that this is the first time in the academy's illustrious history that two students have been invited to the academy from the same city—let alone the same school. We are very proud indeed."

"I don't know what to say."

"Say hurray!" He said. "This is the chance of a lifetime! The academy's board will be contacting your parents directly and extending the offer. I'm certain that they'll be as proud and excited as well are."

"It's just my mom," I said. I was suddenly very afraid for her.

"And Ash, the best part is that your good fortune is shared by the entire student body of Meridian High. If you and the other student accept this remarkable offer, our school will be given a two-hundred-thousand-dollar grant to use however we best see fit. We could restock our library, refinish the basketball court floor, procure new music stands, buy new wrestling mats, and still have plenty to go around." He leaned forward. "This is the biggest thing ever to happen to Meridian High. Your picture will hang proudly on our Hall of Fame."

  "What if I can't go?" I asked.

   His expression fell. "And pass up this incredible, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?" He leaned forward, looking at me with an expression that was oddly both friendly and threatening. "I'm sure we can count on you to do the right thing."