Chapter Thirteen: First Goodbye

Dream had planned on giving Sapnap his gift after dinner. He'd been out for a full day, wondering what he'd gift to his friend before settling on what he always did: money.

$50,000 was hardly thoughtful, but it was the best he could do. His initial idea had been to get Sapnap on stream so that he'd get a live reaction, but he never would have expected the scene before his eyes.

"Dream!" Sapnap's loud voice shook him back to reality, and unfortunately, his kitchen. He looked around the room again, sharply assessing each face. He'd always been overly cautious with strangers, and Sapnap's friends were certainly not an exception.

Then there was Bad and Skeppy. He wouldn't have believed his eyes if not for their bickering as they stood haphazardly near the stove, quarreling about whether they should move away from it.

"It's literally off, Bad, what am I going to burn myself on?" Skeppy bit, annoyed.

"Just get away from it! Why are you so insistent on staying here?"

When he'd asked, apparently they'd scheduled to stay a day at Dream's before crashing at a hotel. Behind his back. The fans were ecstatic; Bad had told him that their meet-up trended for hours.

His eyes darted to Sapnap. The girl to his left, he assumed, was Jo. She was a sunny thing—sure, conventional-looking and not Dream's type, but he set to give her the benefit of the doubt.

His kitchen felt hollower than it had ever before, everyone's smiles (besides the two fighting) wavering in uncertainty. Dream felt gazes on him as he walked swiftly over to Sapnap's side, tapping on his shoulder and jerking a thumb behind him.

"Can we talk really quick?" He made out tightly.

"Sure?" Sapnap followed him out the doorway as low mutters rose from behind him. "What's up?"

"Um. You never... told me about this."

Sapnap shrugged sheepishly. "Come on. Loosen up, dude. They're all pretty responsible."

"That isn't the issue."

"Dream, when was the last time you went to a party? Or had one?"

Dream fell quiet, mouth pressed into a thin line. Middle school. He distinctly remembered the sharp words falling out of his mouth—parties are a waste of time—and tried not to regret it.

"You know I couldn't do anything about it."

"Okay, fair. I know you don't know them, but I just want to hang out with them one last time. With you, too. I'm leaving next morning." He pleaded, grabbing Dream's wrist. "For me. And they'll never be back again."

Dream groaned reluctantly. "You're so annoying."

"Great! Let's go."

When they entered the kitchen, everyone's heads swiveled to meet them again. How do you have so many friends in Florida? He mouthed to Sapnap, who snickered cheekily. There were at least six of them—which meant there were a total of ten people in his house.

Dream cleared his throat, feeling a little embarrassed about his unbecoming entrance.

"I'm, uh, Dream." He nodded awkwardly. Everyone stared at him mutely, until a burst of laughter sounded from behind him. He turned around and George flashed him a grin. "Hear that, guys? He's Uh Dream."

"George—shut up." He flushed dark red, raking a hand through his hair. "Whatever. Don't listen to him."

"Oh wait, you're Davidson, right?" A boy with his arm slung around Sapnap's neck pointed lazily at George. He had orange hair. Really orange hair. Dream wondered if it was a wig. "You know Jacob?"