THE SIGHTS OF CHRISTMAS

They're going to be late, Eddie realizes as he glances at the clock in the dashboard/panel behind the steering wheel. He hopes that they'll be late enough that everyone is already deep in conversation or too engaged in their drinks, food, or the music to pay much attention to them entering, so he can just set down Chris with the other kids and silently slide onto the bench next to Buck who'll greet him with a soft smile.

Finally, he pulls up in front of the karaoke bar, taking note of the nicely decorated tree someone has put up next to the entrance. On the other side, they've put a giant blown-up Santa Claus and Eddie can't help but shiver. It's a nice idea that Chimney came up with, suggesting that they all get together at his and Maddie's favorite karaoke bar for the Christmas themed family evening on their free day. He's heard a lot of good things about it from Buck, who Eddie knows has been there with them already. Eddie just wishes he were in a better mood to enjoy it today. Which is one of the reasons why he'd like his team and their families not to pay too close attention to him.

He sighs, putting his car into park and turning the key in the ignition. He turns back to look at Chris in the backseat. Seeing his son looking outside with excitement in his eyes lifts his mood a little. He hopes Chris has fun tonight, even if he doubts that'll apply to himself.

They have to pass the creepy Santa figure to get inside but once they do, Eddie finds that the decorations become a lot more tasteful. There are colorful lights, mostly, but also a few small Christmas trees in the corners. The music is turned lower in benefit of the children and the bar and the tables are lined with fir branches interspersed with ornaments in silver and red. Eddie likes it.

Chris moves away from him, prompting him to do the same but not waiting on him. Eddie follows Chris's line of sight and sure enough, they're all there already, sitting, talking, eating, and drinking at one of the tables. Two, no, three tables, pushed together.

It looks cozy, all of them huddled closely together on the chairs and benches surrounding the tables. Like a family, Eddie can't help but think. It's a thought he's been having a lot lately. And he enjoys this little family that they made for themselves amongst the team.