⫷ 10 • To Win Trust ⫸

*The Next Day*

Author's POV

The evening has arrived. The deteriorated relationship between Jane and Steve was evidently visible among people. A little dark patch could be seen at his right cheek as if someone punched him. Those who have known them are whispering behind their back. There is no friendliness among them and no one knows why.

William was watching the scene standing behind them but didn't associate. Since he already have his own business to deal with.

Now, the opera commenced. Everyone settled to their seats. People were enjoying it. Jane and Steve were in the same room as they were a couple in people's eyes.

Jane had that bitter look on her face which made other people hard to approach her. Somehow, watching Jane made her bullies scared out of their wits. Meanwhile, Steve was calm but had a blank expression, unable to read by anyone. Both of their presence emitted a strong dark aura no one dare to break in.

Instead of show, Jane was busy spectating nobles, she saw Blitz, enjoying the opera, not knowing what's going to happen next to him. But was that all she is thinking?

Of course not! The mind of hers filled with fury, just like a volcano, she could explode anytime. The fact, that person returned to mess with her again. To be precise, she was his puppet. With her eyes closed, anything he wished she never hesitated to fulfill in the past.

However, she was determined to not fall under his trap ever again.

"I'm going out for some fresh air." Steve stood up and left. Jane didn't even bothered to look at him.

* a few moments later*

"Jane!" She turned back to see Albert entering the room.

"Ah, it's you, Albert." She gave a faint smile enough to look polite.

"Well umm... I'm sorry to ask like that but Steve and you seem to be infuriated today. I felt remorse watching you two like that."

"Actually, our quarrel has gotten worse. I don't think things will get better anymore. I'm sorry for sharing my concerns like that. But I feel so devastated right now, Albert." She woefully answered.

"It's fine. You can share any concerns with me. In fact, William is also here. We'll hear you out and give our support."

"Thank you. By the way, I ..uh!" Jane almost lost balance. Albert was shocked, but before she could fall, he quickly caught her in his arms.

"Are you alright!?" he was startled.

"I am a bit tired since I couldn't sleep last night." She touched her forehead with her fingers, her tiring impression concerned him.

"Is that so? You should be resting then. Wait, I'll call Steve."

"It's alright! I don't want to stay in my room. I'd rather sit here and enjoy the play. Don't worry, Albert. I'm fine."

"Alright then, I'll be going. Make sure to not move around much. Take care." Albert gave his comforting smile.

"Yes. I will!" She smiled back as he left.

Suddenly, Jane's expression changed. A devious smile came to her face as she saw him going out. The next moment, she swiftly turned back to her bitter look.