XXXVIII - The Stag

AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR, "Here we come!" Hermione whispered.

They all got to their feet. Buckbeak raised his head. They saw Lupin, Ron, and Pettigrew clambering awkwardly out of the hole in the roots. Then came the unconscious Snape, drifting weirdly upward... then Astra, Hermione and Luna. Next came Harry and Sirius. They all began to walk toward the castle.

Any moment now, that cloud was going to move aside and show the moon...

"Harry," Hermione muttered as though she knew exactly what he was thinking, "we've got to stay put. We mustn't be seen. There's nothing we can do...."

"So we're just going to let Pettigrew escape all over again..." said Harry quietly.

"How do you expect to find a rat in the dark?" snapped Astra. "There's nothing we can do! We came back to help Dad; we're not supposed to be doing anything else!"

"All right!"

The moon slid out from behind its cloud. They saw the tiny figures across the grounds stop. Then they saw movement --

"There goes Lupin," Hermione whispered. "He's transforming."

"Hermione!" said Harry suddenly. "We've got to move!"

"We mustn't, I keep telling you --"

"Not to interfere! Lupin's going to run into the forest, right at us!" Astra gasped.

"Quick!" she moaned, dashing to untie Buckbeak along with Luna. "Quick! Where are we going to go? Where are we going to hide? The Dementors will be coming any moment --"

"Back to Hagrid's!" Astra said. "It's empty now -- come on!"

They ran as fast as they could, Buckbeak cantering along behind them. They could hear the werewolf howling behind them....

The cabin was in sight; Harry skidded to the door, wrenched it open, and the girls and Buckbeak flashed past him; Harry threw himself in after them and bolted the door. Fang barked loudly.

"Hello, Fang," said Luna gently, scratching his ears to quieten him. 

"That was really close!" Hermione said.

"Yeah..."

Buckbeak seemed very happy to find himself back inside Hagrid's house. He lay down in front of the fire, folded his wings contentedly, and seemed ready for a good nap.

"Harry, I think it's time..."

Harry nodded. "Was there anyone else with me? Like, did any of you come?"

Hermione and Luna shook their heads. That confirmed Astra's suspicion. Harry gave Fang a pat on the head and snuck out of the hut, toward the lake.

***

As soon as Harry was gone, Astra told Hermione, "I'll explain everything else later." She looked confused, but even more so when Astra hissed, "James, Lily!"

They appeared with a pop, looking happy, but immediately turned worried when they saw Astra's expression.

Hermione looked at her as if she was crazy, while Luna wore a gentle smile.

"Listen, it's been a crazy night, I couldn't call you earlier. Long story short, Dad found us, Pettigrew escaped, Harry and Ron know the truth. But right now, Harry's going to go produce a huge Patronus that's going to save both our lives because we went back in time using Hermione's time turner. But, I saw you two with Harry when he did it, so you should probably get over there. The Black Lake. Bunch of dementors. Come back when he's done."