XLIV - The Train Ride

ASTRA ARRIVED AT KINGS CROSS a bit earlier than usual, but she quickly said good-bye to Minnie and went on the search for Luna or Hermione. Minerva smiled; it was good to see that the young girl was finally making friends, one of the things that she had been most worried about.

Finally, she spotted a head with bushy brown hair among a family of red-heads and a messy-black-haired boy; she had at least found Hermione. Astra made a note that she was there, but continued on the look for Luna, knowing that it would be easy to find Hermione again if she were with the Weasleys, who stuck out like a sore thumb with their vibrant red hair.

She couldn't find anyone on the platform, so she decided to head on the train; maybe Luna was already there. She headed to the compartment that Luna was in when they had met in her second year and, sure enough, Luna was sitting there, butterbeer cork necklace and all.

"Luna!" Astra quickly embraced her friend and pulled her out of her seat, grabbing her Quibbler. 

"Hello, Astra," said Luna in her dreamy voice. "Come on, I saw Hermione with the Weasleys and Harry I think." She looked out the window and realized that they weren't there anymore; they must have gotten onto the train already.

She peeked into a few compartments until finding the golden trio with Malfoy talking loudly next to them. Normally, she didn't care much for hanging out with Harry and Ron, but decided that it was probably for the best if they joined together. After all, they had at least one mutual friend, and Astra supposed that she considered Harry her friend as well.

She opened the compartment and saw that the three were seemingly listening to Malfoy, so she waved hi, allowing Hermione to bring both of the girls into a tight hup.

"Oh, I was so worried about you!" she squealed but quickly silenced when the boys hushed her.

"...Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore - the man's such a Mudblood-lover - and Durmstrang doesn't admit that sort of riffraff. But Mother didn't like the idea of me going to school so far away. Father says Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defense rubbish we do...."

Hermione got up, tiptoed to the compartment door, and slid it shut, blocking out Malfoy's voice.

"So he thinks Durmstrang would have suited him, does he?" said Astra. "I wish he had gone, then we wouldn't have to put up with him. Hello Harry, Ron," she nodded acknowledgment to the boys as they nodded in return.

Harry had to force himself to look away from Astra, who looked just as beautiful as at the World Cup but this time in her Hogwarts robes, and away from Hermione, who looked at him with a smug smile.

"Durmstrang's another wizarding school?" said Harry.

"Yes," said Hermione sniffily, "and it's got a horrible reputation. According to An Appraisal of Magical Education in Europe, it puts a lot of emphasis on the Dark Arts."

Astra nodded in agreement. "Apparently Walburga Black, or my grandmother, wanted to send my dad and uncle there, but they decided to go to Hogwarts to continue the Slytherin legacy. Obviously, that didn't work though," she chuckled at the end.

"Your uncle?" asked Harry. He had never heard Sirius talk about a brother. Astra quickly covered her mouth as if recognizing she had said something wrong, but then regained her composure. 

"Yes, Regulus Black. He was two years younger than my dad. Went to Slytherin and became a Death Eater, but then redeemed himself and went against Voldemort by himself." She seemed a bit upset at the subject.

"What does he do?" Harry asked more, wanting to know about Sirius's family; he never talked about it before.

"He died. While defying Voldemort. A very brave death if you ask me. Now, what were we talking about?" Astra changed the topic quickly, making both Harry and Ron wonder about where she got this information, though Hermione and Luna exchanged knowing looks.