The Past is behind Me

The fireworks burst in the air. The night sky was no longer dark but lit up with colors of pink, purple. green, blue, all colors filled the sky. I ran down the hill with sparklers in my head. Smiling so happily and playing with all the other children.

"Ryujin!" I turned my head.

My heart started beating fast, there he was the boy I loved.

"Hi Chul!"

"Ryujin, let's go down to the stream. Eun, Sungho, and Aeri are coming."

Don't go. Don't.

"Sure!" I tagged his shoulder. "C'mon, I'll beat you there!"

"Bet!"

We ran down to the stream. Our friends were waiting for us down there.

"Chul!" Aeri ran and hugged him. It made me jealous then, she liked him and was always around him. But I wasn't worried as he told me I was his favorite.

What a liar.

"Let's go swing across the stream!" Eun said. We ran over to this hanging branch. It was attached to the tree above but it was getting loose since we pulled on it a lot. Taking turns, we swung across the stream.

"Hey I'm gonna swing from back here!" Sungho said. He pulled the branch further back than normal. He ran and jumped as he swung across the stream to the other side.

"Ahhh you idiot!" Aeri hit his shoulder. "That was dangerous."

"No it's not you try!"

Aeri did try. She made it however she almost cried after landing. All the boys joined in from swinging that far back. I was too scared to.

"Ryujin! Ryujin! Come swing with us! It's not that far back." Eun said.

I looked scared, the branch looked like it was closer to snapping. I didn't want to get hurt.

"Aww Ryu isn't that scared. She can do better than all of us, she can even do from further back." Chul said.

Hearing Chul talk to me made my heart beat.

"She can probably swing off that tree there over to the other side."

"Of course I can!" I said in a valiant effort to impress Chul.

"Really? Come do it, I'll help you up."

What an idiot I was.

Chul and I walked over to the tree. We climbed to one part where I could still hold on to the branch from. Our friends pulled the branch towards me. To swing across this would be hard. The branch wasn't a rope but a tree branch seconds away from snapping.

I wish I paid more attention to how close the branch was to breaking. But all I wanted was to impress Chul.

"Alright Ryu, you just got to swing across."

My heart used to always flutter when he called me that. He only called me nicknames, it was a connection he had with only me and not Aeri.

"I'm kind of scared Chul."

"It's okay Ryu. If anyone can do it, it's you. Plus you are my favorite person here, our other friends are cool but nothing compared to you. You are the strongest here, you can make it and show them how amazing you are."

I listened to his manipulative words and decided I could do it. Our friends cheered my name. I steadied my feet and got ready to swing. I took a deep breath and then jumped forward. The branch couldn't bear being tugged that much and mid way through the swing it snapped. I fell down onto the edge before the stream and rolled down into the water. I sat up and started coughing the water out my mouth. My legs ache bad and I saw scratches all over them, my knees bruised badly. I wanted to act strong but I couldn't, I started crying and it hurt so bad.