Page 23

The day after.....

POV Lucas

- Relax. Everything is going to be ok.

I assured her. I put my hand on her back to smooth her stress and I felt her loose.

We had informed the Vampires about our arrival before we began our trip. We had already asked for a safe passage. Dom Dominic, the king of the Vampire Kingdom, was an ancient vampire. He had not deny the passage or confirmed such. He was a sneaky bastard and had his own agenda. But he was expecting us, which meant that he wanted something from us and I hoped that we could reach into an agreement.

No matter the difficulties, we were now outside the gates. It was not an easy task to find the Kingdom. It was built deep in the forest and hidden by magic. We would have never found it without Alexandra. She was indeed the best tracker. During our journey, Phoenix was flying high guiding us.

Once we were outside the gate, the sense of uneasiness of the people was overwhelming.

- Listen to me! You have nothing to worry about but I do not want to let your guards down. Cayden, Alexandra and myself will go inside. The rest of you will stay out. Ezra and Phillip will be in charge. When it starts getting dark you will wait for us only for half an hour. If we do not come back or get in touch with you for an update by then, you need to leave. Find the river and follow it back to the start point. This is an order.

I instructed.

- Same applies for my Team, too. Do not engage for any reason. This is a direct order.

Cayden informed his Team.

Everybody nodded in approval.

- Let's go.

She urged us to move.

We headed towards the gates, which opened. The gate closed behind us as soon as we passed through. The three of us were looking around searching for someone. But there was no one. It was a daylight and uncommon for the vampires being outside but I was expecting at least to see human slaves around. They were addicted to the bites and there were too many groupies inside these walls. From my perspective, it was disgusting, but as long as they were not forced to stay or captive, the supernatural world could not interfere. 

- Something is off. I cannot actually see anyone but I can feel their auras.

She confessed

- Might be the humans hiding.

I tried reasoning her fear.

I noticed that she was feeling unsettled, although she made attempts to hide it. She always had this cool, collective exterior. I admired her for her ability to keep in check her feelings. God knows I was trying to do the same just for the sake of my mental health. The last time I got frustrated over Alexandra seeing her hugging Cayden, Lilly manipulated my feelings taking control over me.

Alexandra had her demons and I wanted to be the one chase them away. All she had to do was let me. She had trust issues, but I was confident she trusted me and Cayden. She was my mate and I could not imagine my life without her. The pull of the bond was strong, but since she was a Phoenix I could not tell if she was feeling the same. I had to be patient with her. Declaring my love all of a sudden would scare her away. 

I was not myself very expressive. Being an Alpha was always about not showing your feelings or thoughts. Otherwise, it meant weakness. The three Fs. Be fierce, be fearless but be fair.

We passed the main square and went straight to the palace's entry. The door half opened in our presence. I went inside first to check the place. Empty. This was not going well. I knew that sneaky bastard had a plan. Once we entered, the door closed behind us. I turned my head to my right to check Alexandra and Cayden next to me, but then I felt a movement. My right hand was unintentionally lifted just in time to grab someone's neck. It was a low caste vampire or something like that (who knows?) who was going straight to Alexandra's neck. I heard Alexandra inhale sharply. I squeezed his throat more and lifted his skinny body from the floor.