A Step Too Far?

There was a knock on my door and I jumped. I took a deep breath, looking at my reflection and making certain I looked presentable. Taking a deep breath, I walked to the front door and pulled it open. Paul was waiting on my front stoop. He gave me a smile which I tried to return. It was strange seeing him dressed in normal clothes instead of his usual dramatic stage attire. 

"Hello Y/N. It's a pleasure to see you again," he said,, taking my hand and giving it a kiss. 

"It's a pleasure to see you again too. Let me grab my suitcase," I said, closing the door in his face. 

I took a breath, grabbing my suitcase and making sure everything else was all taken care of. Finally, I rejoined Paul outside. He didn't hesitate to take the suitcase from my hand. "Are you ready to leave?" he asked.

I nodded, giving him a smile. "I am." 

"Then let's go," he said, taking my hand and giving it a soft squeeze before leading me to his car. 

I was impressed in spite of myself. He had a very nice sports car. I got in the passenger seat as he put my suitcase in the trunk. He got into the driver's seat, starting the engine. "We'll drive to the airport, we're taking our usual private jet. You're okay with flying, right?" 

I nodded, giving him a smile. "Yes, I'm fine with that." 

He returned my smile, eyes glittering. "And I can book a room for you at the room we're staying at, I'm sure we'll be able to get one even if it is a bit last minute."

"Oh, you don't have to get two rooms. If you'd prefer, I'd happily share with you," I said, unable to stop myself from saying it.

Paul went a deep red, refusing to look at me. "Well I-I mean if you're certain you're okay with it. I don't want you to feel forced to do that. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"I could never feel uncomfortable around you," I said flirtily, resting a hand delicately on his arm. 

He flinched at my touch, going even redder. "If you're certain," he said again, all flustered and shy. 

My heart melted a bit but I mentally kicked myself. I didn't like him like that. I wouldn't allow myself to like him like that. I was only going to play this game for fun until I got tired of it all and went home. 

After a luxurious fight and a quick limo ride to the hotel, Paul and I walked to the hotel room we were sharing. We got room service, eating dinner before it got late and we decided to head to bed. He showed me to the very nice bedroom before drawing to a halt, looking nervously at me.

"I...I love you," he murmured.

My heart fluttered. That was the first time he had said that to me. It was the first time he had told me he loved me. I knew that I should have told him I didn't, or even just lied and said I did. But instead, I walked toward him. I gave him a playful smile, batting my eyelashes. I tugged at the front of his shirt.

"Then show me," I whispered in his ear. 

His eyes widened and he took a step back, looking at me in confusion. "Y/N...I..." he started, and my heart swelled.

But to my surprise, he shook his head. "I'm sorry. I can't do that to you, not...not yet. I don't want to force you," he said.

I took another step toward him, shaking my head. "You're not forcing me to do anything. I want you to show me how you love me," I said.

He put a hand on my cheek, running a thumb along it. We stood in silence, lost in each other's eyes. But finally, he spoke. 

"This is too much. I'm moving too fast. You just feel pressured because I'm a rock star, it's expected that's what I do with groupies. But I love you more than that. It's too soon, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have agreed to share a room," he said. 

"But--" I started.

He shook his head, cutting me off. 

"No. I won't do that to you. You have the bed, I'll sleep on the couch." 

"Paul--" I tried, but again he cut me off.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I hate to disappoint you, but it's for the best this way. In the future, yes. But not now," he murmured, kissing me on the forehead. "Now goodnight. Sleep well."

I opened my mouth to argue further but he had already left the bedroom, shutting the door behind him. I sat down on the bed with a sigh. I didn't love him, and part of me knew it was wrong to play this game, to play with his heart. At the same time, I couldn't deny that a part of me desperately desired him, if nothing but physically. Scarlett had been right, he was hot, and I knew I could have him any way I wanted, given enough time. 

So against my better judgement, I decided I was going to keep playing the game. I could only hope neither of us would end up hurt.