Home

"Gene I...I feel so awful. I've been a horrible boyfriend to her. There's so many things I don't know, so many things I haven't even thought to ask. I didn't even realize she hadn't told her parents about our relationship, that they wouldn't approve if they knew, and now I've...I've gone and gotten her pregnant and made things so much worse for her. I don't know what to do. I just feel so powerless, and so guilty for what I've done."

I frowned, stirred awake at the sound of the voice, rolling over and looking for Paul. He was standing in the dark by the phone, nothing more than a silhouette against the window as he poured out his fears to Gene, saying what he felt he never could to me.

"And I'm older than her, by-by almost ten years, I should be more responsible, I shouldn't have...fuck Gene I don't know what to do. She's terrified, she doesn't want to be pregnant, to have a baby, and I love her so much, it hurts to see her so upset and know it's my fault and know I've got no way to fix it, not really."

I felt my heart sink as I watched him run a hand through his hair, twisting the phone cord around his finger.

"And I still can't apologize enough to her for how I reacted when she first told me. I-I mean what the hell was wrong with me? What was I thinking, why did I do that?" he asked, voice growing thick.

I slid out of bed, feet silent against the carpet as I walked over to him. I hesitated for a moment before slipping my arms around his waist. He jumped, dropping the phone in surprise.

"Y/N!" he said in surprise, before picking up the phone and saying goodbye to Gene, hanging up.

I rested my head on his chest, feeling the rise and fall of his chest, the beating of his heart. There was a pause before his arms went around me too.

"Y/N, I-I know you just want to go home for the next nine months but I can't leave you alone. I'm not touring right now once two weeks pass, I can't just abandon you, not while you're pregnant. Come home with me, please," he said after a pause.

"I want to be in my house," I said.

There was a pause before Paul took a deep breath.

"Well then...could I stay with you?" he asked.

"There's not much room. You'd have to sleep on the couch," I said.

"I don't care. I want to support you."

"I don't know. I'll have to think. I'll have to see," I murmured. 

"Okay. Come back to bed, it's late," he said, leading me back to bed. 

I drifted off into an uneasy sleep, not even entirely soothed by his grasp this time. In the morning, he woke me up with a kiss. 

"I have a show tonight. Do you want to just stay here?" he asked. 

I nodded, hugging myself tightly. 

"Do you want H/N to keep you company?" he asked, but I shook my head.

"Not tonight. I just want to be alone," I murmured.

"Are you sure?" he asked, and I nodded. 

"Okay. Call her or me if you need someone. I'll see you in a few hours," he said.

"Alright. Good luck tonight," I said softly.

He kissed me again, softly, tenderly, before murmuring a goodbye and walking out of the room. I laid in bed for awhile, mind racing. I didn't want to be here, I wanted to go home. I needed to go home. I stumbled out of bed, grabbing my suitcase and starting to pack. I didn't think, I was too emotional to think straight. I just packed up all my belongings, calling a cab and buying myself a plane ticket home while I waited for the taxi.

I moved through the airport on autopilot, boarding the plane and resting my head against the window, gently touching the sapphire necklace around my throat before pulling it off and putting it in my pocket. I hadn't left a note or a message, I had just left. I didn't have a choice. I needed to be home, with or without Paul, and I couldn't bear to wait any longer.